Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tips for college students trying to live on a budget

Youíre in college now! For better or worse that means you have to be responsible for yourself, and that includes being responsible for your money. Learning how to spend your money wisely is not always easy--especially if you have caviar tastes on a tuna fish budget.

Here are a few tips to help you stretch your money.

Shop for Deals!
    Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy all have sales on things you want and need.
    Clip Coupons!
    These extra savings add up, especially if you use them at stores that offer to double their value. Theyíll help you save a few more dollars that can be put toward other luxuries
    Get textbooks Online!
    Even if you are lucky enough to get all of your books at ďusedĒ prices, you still end up paying a huge amount for a semesterís worth of books. Explore online textbook shopping. Itís simple, itís fast, and Ė often Ė itís cheaper
    Pay Off Your Balance Each Month!
    Using your credit card can be a good way to build a credit history, but you want a good credit history, donít you? Use only one credit card with a low credit limit, and pay your balance in full each month.
    Use a Debit Card!
    If you have self-control issues, then trade in your credit card for a debit card. The money comes directly out of your checking account, so you pay no interest and there is no danger of spending money you donít have.
    Balance Your Bank Account!
    Do this every month to avoid costly bounced check charges and embarrassment at the check-out stand.
    Eat Out Less!
    Purchase a meal plan; buy groceries; brown bag your lunch; find less expensive places to eat. Eating at restaurants week after week will take a big chunk out of your budget.
    Donít Drink!
    Beer and apple martinis are expensive. On top of that, youíre more likely to give in to impulse spending (extra fries, cute hat, etc.) if youíre sporting a buzz. Besides you shouldnít be drinking unless youíre 21, so cut it out!

Shop for a Better Cell Phone Plan!
    You spend all day on the cell phone Ė text messaging, yapping away, checking your stock quotes. . . .If you just pick a plan because the phone has the coolest features, you may be wasting a lot of money.
    Use Less Gas!
    Are we really paying $3.50 per gallon? Consolidate errands when you go off campus. Make lists during the week so that you donít end up making three trips to Albertsonís. If youíre one of those people that really likes to drive around to show off your cool ride, maybe you could just coast downhill on Lincoln Ė just kidding; youíll have to rely on some of the other cost saving tips.
    Review Your Budget Each Month!
    If you consistently go over your budget, keep records of everything you spend during the next month. Use this expense information to trim excess spending and try again.
    Get A Campus Job!
    If you canít make these tips work for you, then you need more cash. There are many part-time jobs available on campus. You can earn some dough and not waste any money on gas.
    There are so many things that you can do to save money. Try some of these on for size. Maybe youíll discover a little extra cash in your wallet next month.
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tips for college students trying to live on a budget

For my phone I ended up trading in my $40 a month for a prepaid plain since I barely talk to anyone and it turns into being a huge waste after a while if you're not big on talking.

And eating out less, gawd, if I could just convince my roommate to quit that habit we'd be sitting a lot prettier with our funds.

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hope it helps some Tarrien!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh yeah, these tips definitely help.

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My oldest daughter is in college and I try to advise and help her as well!!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

not even in college and they're helping me out

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats kewl!!! It could apply to the youth also

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

*is the youth*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast