Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 5 laws of being Frugal

1.) Take care of your things- Whether its your car, shoes, clothes, health, whatever;- taking care of things makes them last longer. If you respect yourself and your things, realize that by taking care of them you will get more value out of them and they will last longer.

2.) Always try to fix things- Donít be afraid to try to fix things when they are broken. Usually, at worst you will either need to replace it or get it fixed, which you would have done anyway. More than likely, you will surprise yourself with the results.

3.) Donít waste anything- Be mindful of wasting things, it is costing you money. Donít waste electricity, food, gas, time, or anything else, especially money.

4.) Watch your pennies and your dollars will follow- This is an age old piece of advice, which still holds true today. If you examine even the smallest of your purchases, you will continue to do the same with your larger ones as well and you will find yourself making the right decisions with the larger ones.

5.) Always keep your eyes open for a good (or better) deal- Donít be afraid to try a new, cheaper alternative to something just because you are used to a certain product or service. Frequently, you will find that you are just as happy, if not happier, with a cheaper alternative.
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: 5 laws of being Frugal

4.) Watch your pennies and your dollars will follow- This is an age old piece of advice, which still holds true today.
    Very interesting saying to ponder. I wonder how many people here will bend over and pick up a penny that they see or have dropped ?
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 5 laws of being Frugal

I've been able to make a pair of shoes last me through high school when I wore them almost every day from how careful I was. I know someone else who always had stuff break on them since they weren't too terribly kind to their possessions.

I'm actually going to try a new cat food since its much much cheaper than what I use for my ferret, the only thing I'm worried about is she's a picky eater...But you never know the results until you try.

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I pick up EVERY penny I see and I have a special jar for them. Its one of those plastic water jugs. It is about 1/3 full and that is from over 10 years!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also pick up those pennies, but I like to keep them in my coat pockets for luck...that is until they get too heavy. I think JoAnn is right...it is a saying to ponder. Nice post

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree !! Thanks Jaime!!!!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My aunt is actually really good with finding money on the ground, she's found a $20 bill before.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

As for picking up pennies. I do. I have heard from several different people that save change that loose changes easily adds up to hundreds of dollars a year. So we save all of our change in a gallon pickle jar. One time DHs wages got garnished for an old tax bill he didn't know he had. We had a plastic shoe box of change under our bed and that box bought us groceries the whole time his wages were garnished. Several weeks.

Now for making things last. I have a gray 100% wool cape that I wear nearly every day in fall and winter. It was used when it was given to me. The label says made in West Germany. So I am pretty sure this cape is close to twenty years old. I can see myself wearing it for many more years. The cape has a big advantage over a coat in that if your weight flucuates it will still fit.
    Tracy in VA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast