10 Tips For Saving More at the Grocery Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 10 Tips For Saving More at the Grocery Store

1.) Don't Overbuy
    Whether you're cooking for a big group or just for you, overbuying is all too easy when we're at the store. Before you head to the supermarket checkout, ask yourself if you are buying too much if you estimate the leftovers will last more than a few days, the answer may be a conclusive "yes."

2.) Stock Up on Sales
    For those of you that have kitchen space to spare, stocking up on non-perishables and frozen or freezable items when they are on sale can be a great way to save on groceries.

3.) Don't Be a Deer-in-Headlights
    Next time you're food shopping, compare prices of the items at chest level and the items on the upper and lower shelves. Most stores stock the most expensive items where they're easy to grab and go. A simple scan up and down could knock some serious dollars off your total.

4.) Get Grocery Coupons Online
    New online tools like TheGroceryGame.com and AOL Shortcuts are perfect for busy people that want to save money.

5.) Share Bulk Items With a Friend
    It especially makes sense to buy dry goods in bulk, but always remember to check unit prices to ensure the bigger items actually cost less. For things with expiration dates, consider splitting the cost with a friend.

6.) Inspire a Love For Leftovers
    If there's someone in your family who is resistant to leftovers, try making some dishes that actually taste better the day after they're made.

7.) Give Store Brands a Go
    Instead of simply grabbing your go-to brands, consider narrowing the price comparison process to your favorite brand and its store brand equivalent. When you've discovered the store brand to be lower in price, take it home for a taste test!

8.) Be Selective About Coupons
    Don't clip coupons for unneeded items, because you'll likely spend more money.

9.) Skip the Nongrocery Items
    Health and beauty products tend to be cheaper at mass-market retailers, like Target, or drug stores.

10.) Check Your Receipt For Errors
    Keep your eye on the scanner for errors as your items are priced one by one. It's much easier than trying to prove that you've been charged for two of an item when you only walked out with one.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 10 Tips For Saving More at the Grocery Store

Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, great tips. The last one is extremely important. My Wal Mart is notorious for having a sale tag by the item but it scanning regular price at the register. They will correct it when you point it out, although a few times they acted like they didn't believe me and I offered to take them to the tag. Does anyone know if Wal Mart has a scan right guarantee (where you get 1 of that item free if it scans wrong) ???? I need to start making them give me the item if they do.
    Niddi

Budget101 Guru
    Currently, Arizona,USA- soon to be Davao, Philippines
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Niddi- I didnt know that about wal mart!!! thanks for sharing that!

RTEbalt- thank you so much for the tips. Some I knew... others I didnt even think about.
    Terra , Wife to Kevin, Mom to Cassidy (12) and Ciara (2)

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The last one is extremely important
    I've also seen that some of the scanners are really touchie by picking up the price twice also.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah that's true I've gotten overcharged before and caught it before I Had to leave, you really gotta watch for that.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the laws I was taught in management was if the item is priced at an amount you have to give it to them at that amount. Call for the manager let them know you know the laws, they may try to argue with you but you have the upper hand in this situation.
    Mdowdy

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdowdy View Post
    One of the laws I was taught in management was if the item is priced at an amount you have to give it to them at that amount. Call for the manager let them know you know the laws, they may try to argue with you but you have the upper hand in this situation.
    Yeh, some stores are really nice about it too. I was in Target & bought a teddy bear for my niece. The rack said $4.99, but when I got up to the register it rang up as $10. I told the cashier & she just changed the price - didn't even do a price check! (Lucky for her, I'm an honest person & I wasn't trying to trick her. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast