Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Soft American-Style White Bread recipe (No Knead Style)

I received the book today and lookie what I found. I have not tried this recipe out but their master recipe is great.

Soft American-Style White Bread recipe (No Knead Style)

Makes 3 1 1/2 lb loaves. This recipe is easily doubled or halved.

3 cups lukewarm water
    1 1/2 Tbsp granulated yeast (2 packets)
    1 1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus additional for brushing the top crust
    7 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    Neutral tasting oil or softened butter for greasing baking pan

1. Mixing and Storing Dough. Mix the yeast, salt, sugar, and melted butter with the warm water in a five quart bowl or a lidded non-airtight food container.

2. Mix in the flour without kneading using a spoon, 14 cup capacity food processor with dough attachment, a heavy duty stand mixer with dough hook. If you are not using a machine, you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bits of flour.

3. Cover, not air-tight, and allow to rest at room temp until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on the top), approximately 2 hours.

4. The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise with only a 40 minute rise in the pan, though it is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate the remaining dough in a lidded (not air-tight) container and use over the next 7 days.

5. On baking day, lightly grease a 9x4x3 non-stick loaf pan. Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 1 1/2 lb (cantaloupe sized) piece. Dust the piece with more flour and quickly shape into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball in a quarter turn as you go. Elongate the ball into an oval.

6. Drop the dough into the prepared pan. You want to fill the pan slightly more than half-full.

7. Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour and 40 minutes (or just 40 minutes if using fresh unrefrigerated dough). Dust the loaf with flour and slash the top, using the tip of a sharp knife. Brush the top surface with melted butter.

8. Twenty minutes before baking time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If not using a stone in the oven, 5 minutes is adequate. A baking stone is not essential when using a loaf pan.

9. Bake the bread near the center of the oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

10. Allow to cool completely before slicing, or it will be nearly impossible to achieve reasonable sandwich slices.

Source: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzsberg & Zoe Francois
    Last edited by d_awalker; 02-02-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: I accidentally omitted the salt in the original recipe.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to d_awalker For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Soft American-Style White Bread recipe (No Knead Style)

Thank you, thank you! I have looked and looked for this type of recipe! You are an angel!

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got the base recipe from the site. Does anyone have any ideas on how to store the dough? I don't have a resealable plastic container like it suggested. Do you think that gallon freezer bags would work?

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Plastic ziploc bags will not work. You do not need a plastic, resealable container. You need a large container with something acting as a top so the gases can escape from the dough and so that the air will be kept away from it so that a hard film will not form on the top.

I have used an extra large plastic bowl with two sheets of oiled plastic wrap over the top. Since I also make double batches, I now use the plastic top of a cake container with the oiled plastic wrap over the top. It works perfectly.

April

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

this looks pretty good, girlfriend! let us know the results, pleee-zz-e...

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Soft American-Style White Bread recipe (No Knead Style)

Quote Originally Posted by TxLady View Post
    Thank you, thank you! I have looked and looked for this type of recipe! You are an angel!

LOL! I am certainly no angel but you are more than welcome! If someone had not shared the "master" recipe with my weeks ago, I never would have bought the book to share the recipe with you

All of the sharing just comes full circle.

April

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mos View Post
    this looks pretty good, girlfriend! let us know the results, pleee-zz-e...
    I still have a ton of my other dough in the fridge. I may make just enough for one loaf in order to test it out. When I get around to it, I will definitely report my results.

Of course, it may not measure up to your standards, Mos.

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

i went to you tube (think that's the name) they have lots of these posted including other cooks showing you how to make.. well everything ...geesh who'd a thunk it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast