Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Does anyone have any make ahead and freeze recipes?

I am looking for some make ahead and freeze recipes. I don't have time to cook on weekdays. I thought I could make them on weekends and freeze to heat and eat on weekdays. It would be a huge time saver.

thanks so much

Cathy

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CATHYKEE For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Does anyone have any make ahead and freeze recipes?

Just about everything you cook can be frozen and reheated. Some people tag it as "leftovers" (a nasty word) but it is meals for the future. I have to cook for one which is impossible, so when I do a casserole it get portioned out to single servings and then frozen in FoodSaver Bags. They last forever that way. No freezer burn.

Cooked chicken pieces, pot roast, etc., all stored in portion size. Big bags of frozen stuff are portioned down to smaller bags. Rice and pastas are precooked and frozen, along with any other vegetable that requires cooking. This way all you have to do is pick what meat and vegetable you want and reheat it in the microwave or in boiling water (FoodSaver bags are safe for that). Makes life very easy.

Even ground beef can be precooked and frozen so if you want to make a Hamburger Helper or some other casserole at the last minute, the meat only has to be thawed and added. Big time saver and no mess.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mac and cheese works good this way. I also like to make a larger portion of stew then freeze it for later. Meatloaf works great this way as well. Like McNerd said just about anything can be frozen and reheated in one way or another. I do the bulk of my cooking on the weekends because during the week sometimes we only have 30 minutes to prepare food and eat before we have to run to the next thing going on. Frozen dinners help so much.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to agree with mcnerd. Foodsaver bags are great. When I go grocery shopping or to the farmers market and they have all of those great fresh veggies on sale, that's when the foodsaver really comes in handy. I buy fresh corn, take off the husk, clean it, cut it in 1/2 and put it in the food saver bags with a little salt and pats of butter. When you're ready to cook it, take it out of the freezer and boil it, Voila! delicious fresh corn! You can freeze just about any veggie. Red peppers are expensive, so when I see them on sale I make sure to stock up. Clean them, cut them up and freeze. The same with onions, fresh garlic, string beans, squash, etc.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My nephew married a gal who couldn't cook. They both worked 80 to 90 hours a week. He got 3 days off once every 4 to 5 weeks and he'd use the 1st day to shop and the 2nd day he cooked and froze and the 3rd day he relaxed. He would freeze everything for the entire month plus. I froze meals for my DH when he was living in another city and only came home every other weekend. I can tell you from experience you can freeze just about anything. some spices get stronger when frozen and mash Potatoes don't freeze well at all. There are a few recipes for do ahead potatoes but on a whole I can tell you they aren't worth the trouble. I line pans with foil and freeze. the next day I'll remove the frozen casserole and wrap well and label. this saves my pans for current use. I always keep several meals frozen for emergencies even though we are home most of the time. If we get to busy or if we have sickness we are able to grab something and toss into the oven. I label with what it is when it was fixed and how to cook it. I keep containers with frozen soups also so when I'm sick the kids can fix their dinner and also reheat some soup for me or I can fix the soup quickly for anyone else who is sick. We also have breads and desserts in the freezer. We also can several meals during the summer and fall. spaghetti, stew, meatballs, chili, bean soups, pizza sauce. I love being able to just grab a bottle and dump it into the pan and heat it up. You can stock up your freezer by fixing twice as much as you need at a time. Have half for dinner and freeze the rest. You'll be surprised how fast you can fill your freezer that way! Have fun and you'll get your freezer filled fast!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

CATHYKEE

I am looking for some make ahead and freeze recipes. I don't have time to cook on weekdays. I thought I could make them on weekends and freeze to heat and eat on weekdays. It would be a huge time saver.
    This link will take you to a page on this site that has tons of freezer meals.

Meal Planning, Make Ahead Cooking, Freezer Charts - The Recipe Link

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the link, looks like some very useful info, will have to take some more time later to really look it over.
    Niddi

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great site, thanks for the post on that one. I freeze everything using my food saver also. I love it, nothing ever gets freezer burn. Great invention.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast