How to make a small room appear larger

Some common ideas which usually work for most small rooms when you want to make them appear larger are: Allow as much natural light to enter the room as possible Use artificial light liberally, to keep things bright Use an torchiere lamp or two—it will bounce light off the ceiling and

big, bounce, bright, carpeting, coffee, color, free, hat, helps, how to, large, larger, light, make, natural, problem, room, small, thing, walls, furniture, space, ceiling, open, floor, mirrors, leggy, biggest, choices, glass, reveal, dining, tables, ideal, realistic, deannes, size, dance, hope, making, working, keeping, tips, mind, groupings, places, lamp, torchiere, rooms, two—it

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up How to make a small room appear larger

Some common ideas which usually work for most small rooms when you want to make them appear larger are:

Allow as much natural light to enter the room as possible

Use artificial light liberally, to keep things bright

Use an torchiere lamp or two—it will bounce light off the ceiling and reflect it back into the room

The use of mirrors is very effective, possibly ceiling to floor on a wall, or framed mirrors hung in important places and with groupings

Allow your furniture to reveal as much floor space as possible

Glass dining, coffee and end tables are ideal choices

Use open "leggy" furniture, it helps keep the space open and free

The biggest problem is using to much furniture into the space. Be realistic about your needs, keeping the above tips in mind.

I am working on making Deanne's room look twice its size

Hope this helps
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to make a small room appear larger

Another big thing that helps a room to look larger is a light color on the walls and carpeting.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The floor thing is so true. I swear this house could feel so much bigger if we just cleaned it up and organized things better.

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am excited about really getting into transforming Deanne's room!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia