Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ideas on packing lunches

Packing lunches for my husband and kids is not only cheaper but healthier than other options. Individual sized pre-packaged foods may be convenient but they are considerably more costly. When I have the time (and motivation) I save money by buying full sized items and breaking them down into individual servings. I've found that the best and most efficient way to do this is to do it all at once rather than getting the box or container out each time I pack a lunch. I purchase snack sized bags at the dollar store (unless I can find them cheaper elsewhere) If you want to save even more money (in the long run) and be more environmentally friendly you may want to consider purchasing reusable plastic containers.
    Some items easily broken down into individual servings: crackers, chips, cookies, trail mix, raisins or other dried fruit, baby carrots, celery sticks, and grapes.
    Some items not as easy to break down but great for those reusable plastic containers: Pudding, jello, yogurt, applesauce and cottage cheese.
    Other great items for lunches that don't require breaking down at all: Bananas, apples, oranges (cut into wedges or rings for children) peaches, plums.
    Tired of the same ol sandwich everyday? Switch it up by using bagels or a tortilla, ranch dressing instead of mayo or different varieties of mustard such as Dijon, honey or spicy. Pack crackers with lunch meat and cheese instead of a sandwich. Try buying a different type of cheese each week.
    Pack lunches each night while you are making dinner or cleaning up afterwards.

Remember, it only takes two weeks to create a habit.

Do you have any lunch making tips?

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ideas on packing lunches

Some great ideas here!

Like you said, wraps are a good alternative when you're tired of the same old sandwiches.

Here's a recipe you might like:
    Robin Miller's Pulled Cuban Chicken Wraps
    4 roasted chicken breast halves
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 cup sliced red onion
    1 cup prepared salsa
    1/3 cup prepared ranch dressing
    4 (8 inch) spinach tortillas

1.) Roast chicken 25 minutes at 400 degrees or until done.
    2.) Heat oil in large skillet over Medium heat. Add onion & saute 3 minutes, until soft. Add chicken & salsa & bring to a simmer. Remove from heat & stir in ranch dip.
    3.) Spoon into tortillas

Note: I'm using sun-dried tomato wraps instead of spinach wraps

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh Rebekah...that wrap sound delish!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hope you enjoy!!!

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to try to make that with etra onions too!!! Thanks!!!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I packed lunches I usually toasted the bread to the sandwich, added different meats every so often, and sometimes just experimented (Peanut butter and cucumber).

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by faxonfive View Post
    I am going to try to make that with etra onions too!!! Thanks!!!

Oh I love extra onions! But be careful. If you're gonna have these in the fridge for a few hours or a day or so, remember that red onions get stronger after they are cut, so you don't want a spicy surprise when you bite into it later!

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love onions...used to pull them outta the garden and wipe them off on my shirt and eat them just like that!! Yummy!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast