Ideas for frugal savings

Why live frugally? First, because it allows you to spend less than you earn, and use the difference to pay off debt, save or invest. Or all three. Second, because the less you spend, the less you need to earn. And that means you can choose to work less, or work more but retire early. Or take mini

bag, budget, cards, cheap, coffee, cooking, credit card, debt, eat, email, food, free entertainment, frugal, health, mom, money, problem, sales, save money, vegetarian, eating, save, home, shopping, make, family, donít, saving, cook, library, buying, exercise, spend, work, expenses, times, online, lunch, find, week, time, drink, helps, shop, itís, area, night, store, things, calories

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ideas for frugal savings

Why live frugally? First, because it allows you to spend less than you earn, and use the difference to pay off debt, save or invest. Or all three. Second, because the less you spend, the less you need to earn. And that means you can choose to work less, or work more but retire early. Or take mini retirements. You have more options with a frugal lifestyle.

A few ideas are:

1 - Look for used first. If you need something ó I mean really need it, not just want it ó see if someone you know has one that they donít use or need anymore. Send out an email to family or friends, or just ask around. You might be surprised. I was about to buy a printer, and then found out my mom just bought a laser printer and didnít need her old inkjet Ö saving me close to 100 smackeroos. If no one you know owns one, try freecycle.org or craigslist.org. Then look to buy used, at garage sales or thrift shops. You can find a bargain if you look around.
    2 - Eat out less. One of the biggest expenses in our daily lives is eating out ó the average person spends well over $2,000 a year on eating out. Restaurants are expensive, including fast-food (not to mention the health hazards).
    3 - Brown bag it to work. Instead of eating out for lunch, bring your lunch.
    4 - Stop online impulse buys. This was a problem for me before I canceled my credit card. I used to buy online a couple of times a week. .
    5 - Donít shop. Donít go to the mall or other shopping area or department store to look around and shop. Go to a store if you know what you need, and then get out. Many times people go shopping, with a vague idea of what they want, and get caught up buying much more.
    6 - Use the library. Instead of buying books, check them out. The library often also has a great selection of DVDs (depending on your area), saving you even more.
    7 - Find free entertainment. Find cheap ways to have fun. Entertainment often ends up costing a lot of money, if you go to the movies, buy concessions, or go out at night, go to the bar, etc..
    8 - Frugal exercise. Exercise is important, but it doesnít have to cost a lot of money. Get an exercise video at the library and watch it at home
    9 - Carpool
    10 - Sell your clutter. This is not so much saving money as making it, but the frugal, simplifying cheapskate, like myself, will want to declutter and make a few bucks doing it. Hold a garage sale or sell it on eBay. Itís amazing what some people will buy.
    11 - Frugal gifting. Gifts can cost a lot of money over the course of a year. Look for ways to do it cheaply. Make a gift, or give a consummable. My family enjoys getting and giving cookies, for example.
    12 - Drink water. Often we drink lots of calories through sodas, coffee, alcohol, juices, tea, etc. And that costs a lot too. Drink water, save money, save calories. .
    13 - Batch your errands. Instead of running an errand or two every day, batch them into one errand day, and plan your most efficient route, to save gas and time. Also do as much bill-paying online as possible, to eliminate some errands.
    14 - Stay home. Becoming a homebody might not sound like a lot of fun, but it really can be. I love staying home with my family. We can do all kinds of fun things at home. Or I can spend a day aloneif the family is at school, and really enjoy it. Itís quiet and peaceful, I can read or watch a good movie or respond to comments on my blog or write (on budget101), . Staying home can save tons, in eating out expenses, shopping expenses, gas, and incidentals.
    15 - Stop using credit cards.
    16 - Cancel subscriptions.
    17 - Make your own. I wonít go into all the possibilities here, but many times we buy things when really, we could make them ourselves for much cheaper if we get a little creative.
    18 - Do it yourself. Instead of hiring someone to do something, try doing it yourself.
    19 - Cut your own hair. Again, this one isnít for everybody.
    20 - Cook ahead. If you have one free day a week (or even a month), cook food in big batches and freeze in dinner-sized portions. I donít do this all the time, but I have done it and it saves money (buying big can often save) as well as time. You have to plan it out a bit, coming up with a menu and shopping, cooking enough meals for a week or a month. But once youíre done, your meals each night (and for lunch if you like) are quick and easy. This saves you from eating out or eating convenience food when youíre hungry but too tired to cook.
    21 - Eat less meat. Iím not saying you have to become a vegetarian (although you could always give it a try), but once in awhile, eat meatless dishes.

Hope this helps yall, helps me!!

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ideas for frugal savings

One more thing......watch out for those triple coupon savings!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some great tips here! Thanks!

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your welcome!! I stand by my frugalness, and I know it works

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

thank you for the post but.. a couple things i want to add.... (as i kick the ground) we don't have triple coupons.. or even double... the other side of Michigan has double lucky buggers.....but there are ways to save....i still get magazines.. but now i get them for free.. we save up coke rewards... i don't buy the pop.. but i do ask everyone if we can have the caps.....when we are done with the mag.. we donate down the street at the hospital and in turn they let me go through there mags and see if there is anything i want.. it's a win win.... and you are right it never hurts to ask.. what's the worst thing they could say??? no.. big deal.. they might say yes but you never know unless you ask
    your cook ahead idea... is something i do all the time but have you ever thought of having a cooking day with your friends??? a freezer day maybe.. where each person brings a big dish.. and you trade with them so say you invite 2 friends.. each one cooks a meal that would feed a family for one meal and you trade.. kinda like a cookie trade ya know?? or what if you got together and you cooked with them? always helps to have someone help chop or prep and it goes faster having someone to talk to... ok i'm babbling

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry you dont have triple coupons there!! I collect coke caps too and get alot of free cokes.
    I love the idea of a cooking day with friends too!!! excellent idea too!!!

Do you have a Kmart there that doubles coupons????
    Last edited by faxonfive; 01-22-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling & additional info