Food allergy issues...

My hubby is allergic to onions and peppers and I love them, so you can see I have a problem in finding good recipes. I am married to a meat and potatoes man. He loves whole kernel corn and corn on the cob, he'll eat sweet peas, green lima beans, green beans, butterbeans, and other garden peas.

allergy, beans, box, breast, food, garlic, hat, health, idea, mixes, money, month, rice, spice, stop, time, tomatoes, vegan, veggies, warning, love, green, corn, peas, problem, awhile, salad, kinds, dressing, lettuce, cheese, ranch, bacon, bits, daughter, everyday, challenged, turnips, cook, trouble, salads, married, recipes, good, meat, potatoes, loves, finding, hubby, issues

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh Food allergy issues...

My hubby is allergic to onions and peppers and I love them, so you can see I have a problem in finding good recipes. I am married to a meat and potatoes man. He loves whole kernel corn and corn on the cob, he'll eat sweet peas, green lima beans, green beans, butterbeans, and other garden peas. Other than those I cannot get him to eat any other vegetables. I love every kind of veggie. The only thing I will not eat is a beet. My son will help me eat a salad once in awhile, but he will only eat the lettuce with ranch dressing, cheese, and bacon bits. I love all kinds of salads, but I have trouble with them going bad before I can eat them all. My daughter is a little better and will eat most veggies except for turnips, etc. I love all those to. I am challenged everyday of what to cook. Anyone else have a problem like this?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saunders97 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Food allergy issues...

Yes! can you imagine actually being allergic to onions and peppers?!!! I actually discovered my husband could handle dried onion powder so that helped a lot! But fresh onions cooked or raw or any type of peppers and he instantly breaks out with severe matted hives. I'm allergic to mushrooms. I swell up and quit breathing with in seconds. Pot lucks are like playing Russian roulette! I grow my own salad greens and just pick a variety of leaf's only and the plants keep growing so I only have to pick and use what I need. Around our house we take turns fixing dinner/Breakfast. You don't like what got fixed then you volunteer to fix meals a lot! You either eat what got fixed or settle for whole wheat bread and peanut butter for your meal. No one cooking is allowed to use items we are actually allergic to. But other than that they are welcome to create their own meals for 7! I've got a couple very creative cooks! I told my son he ought to become a chef. He can whip up true masterpieces using next to nothing and the spice cabinet.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Karen,
    YEP ..
    my dd (bio half to middle son) also couldn't process meats or fats. Allergic to milk & soy (back then only had corn formula - she threw that up too, only breast milk stayed down, but we had adopted). I went vegan because her issues were so severe it meant hospital stays in ICU for at least a month (every few months)

Didn't find out till later that even going vegan wasn't enough cause Matt was allergic to everything (just about)

My middle son was allergic to onions, garlic, tomatoes, beans, potatoes,really almost all veggies except beets, squash, carrots, all the grains (including millet) except for rice & quinoa

Jake, my menopause surprise, was deathly allergic to milk - he'd stop breathing but other than that he was ok

that was the littles .. the boys (teens at the time) were pretty much ok for eating stuff luckily

It was super boring .. expensive too 'cause back then the health food stores were few and far between, and nothing in reg stores.

I look back at those years and don't miss it at all.
    --
    How is he with garlic? leeks?

How bad is the allergy? If its not too bad try the powdered, or the liquid onion. Use dyhydrated on your food (**warning IF his is bad allergy do not do this, kissing him etc could cause problems)

You may have a problem with spice mixes if the onion powder gives him a problem. Many use it and don't mention it.

As for veggies, make salads you like. Put in containers and grab for a munchie. I have found that cabbage lasts a long time and I use it like lettuce.

Although it technically is more money - try bagged salad at least there is no rotting out from lack of people eating it

I personally like the idea of a window box with greens for salads .. I wanted to get some built for the front room (S windows) but haven't got them done yet

Ria

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

He can eat garlic(I use the chopped garlic in a jar, and garlic salt & powder), and he can eat onion salt and powder. He just vomits if he comes in contact with an onion or pepper. I can't even make the chunky spaghetti sauce or buy any unless it is only the meat or cheese version. I add my own spices(like Italian seasonings) to make it tastes better. I also add a little sugar and some garlic and onion powder to it. He won't eat chunky tomatoes either. He will eat them if they are blended in a sauce. That is why I make me and my dd's veggie soup homemade and make him and ds chicken noodle. We both love lots of chunky tomatoes in our soup and he won't eat it. Neither hubby or son will eat cooked carrots either. I grew up on a farm and will eat all kinds of stuff-just not beets-YUCK! Can't stand them.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

if tomatoes are acid toss in a little baking soda - it'll fuzz up (think elementary volcano project) .. stir some more .. once it clears up add spices .. if you add them before the baking soda it wipes out the flavors of the spices

sweetens up the tomatoes w/o sugar - or in reality it changes the acidity ..

is it a true allergy or dislike of onions and peppers?

My second oldest didn't like chunk tomatoes either

To get the vitamins of carrots I would cook down run through the blender and add to soups (great in chicken soup - nice colour too) etc then just before serving chop up carrots and toss in so they aren't mushy ..

No one in my house likes cooked carrots .. Though I have to admit honey carrots are good

Ria

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

He's not allergic to tomatoes, he just doesn't like them chunky. He wil eat spaghetti sauce, pizza, etc. Ironically he(hubby)likes raw carrots, just not cooked. He hardly ever eats a carrot stick though. I think I have seen him eat maybe 2 in the almost 12 years we have been married.
    As far as the onions and peppers, he vomits if he accidentally eats one. He doesn't break out in hives or anything like that.
    I might be able to blend carrots into spaghetti sauce or something like that, but they usually ruin before I can use them, so I just don't spend the money to buy them. I occassionally buy me and dd some can carrots to eat.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you do buy carrots - cook them up soft, blend them and put in an ice tray .. pop out the cubes and bag them up ,, This way when you want them they are already cooked and ready to go.

A cube or 2 of carrots added to chicken soup makes it look so much richer too

Add a couple of cubes to muffin mix, or pancakes (add cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice)

Ria