Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh Angel Food Menu Recipes Needed!

I just got my first box of Angel Food today. Everything looked good, and I loved how it was ready to freeze, without labeling/wrapping etc.

My main problem is that most of the meat items I have no idea how to cook or have any recipes that call for them. We've only been able to purchase ground beef for so long that I have no experience with anything else. (The only two exceptions is a roast that I cooked a few months back and country style pork ribs that I marinade and roast, just started that about a month ago)

I also have no idea how to cook some of the other items (like the broccoli)

I've tried to find preplanned menus/recipes so that I can maximize how much I am saving with out wasting something just because I don't know how to use it. The only thing that I have found has been Hillbilly Housewife, but this hasn't been updated since last year.

As for kitchen supplies, I have a basic pot and pan set, 2qt. crock pot and a roasting pan with rack.

My main questions are this:
    How do I cook this/create meals, using the kitchen supplies that I own. I am able to suplimint the Angel Food box, but not by much.

Here is the Angel Food Menu:
    1.5 lb. Ribeye Steak (4 x 6 oz.)
    4 lb. Leg Quarters
    1.5 lb. Beef Patties (4 x 6 oz.)
    18 oz. Cheese Filled Manicotti
    2 lb. Pork Rib Strips
    1 lb. Chicken Breast Fajita Strips
    1 lb. Ground Turkey
    1 lb. Broccoli
    1 lb. Peas
    6 ct. Oatmeal Variety Box
    2 each-Regular, Maple Brown Sugar
    and Apple Cinnamon

32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk
    8 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix
    12 ct. White Corn Tortillas
    1 lb. Pinto Beans
    7 oz. Chicken Flavored Rice & Vermicelli
    Dozen Eggs

I also have about 5lbs of ground beef in the freezer, plenty of rice and instant mashed potatoes, pasta, flour, corn meal, some canned veggies, dry milk, and a fair amount of condiments. I am just at a loss as what to do with this stuff, I think that I might have blown my mental planning fuse.

Thanks for any help and suggestions that you guys may have,
    Shannon

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Angel Food Menu Recipes Needed!

The recipes in my CMthread will cover your ground turcky. In general you can sub it in most ground beef recipes.

you said ground beef and mashed potatos? I thought sheperds pie. Just a simple recipe for it. you dont have to add veggies but i usuallt do at least green beans and corn.

Fajita Strips and beans can make a mexican dinner night.

Broccoli you can use in a caserole or just cook it with enough water in a pan to cover with 1/2 inch over. Add a bit of butter if you like and cook till you can stic a for in it and pull free easily. It will drop right off your fork when its don. Serv as a side. be sure to cut it into bite sizes if you boil it. would go well with those steaks.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any cookbooks that you can refer too? A Cookbook can give some really good ideas on how to cook the items that you have. Sounds like you have enough kitchen pans to use for the basic use. There are alot of great recipes here on the site also.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never had Shepard's Pie, I'll have to check it out. The cook books that I have are nice, but not really helping. I have 2 of the Fix It and Forget It books, but my crock pot size keeps me from using those. I also have the Betty Crocker Red Book, and while it has a lot of basics in it, most of the recipes call for things that I don't have.

I am going to keep looking, and try to figure out a menu in the next day or so.

Thanks everyone,
    Shannon

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

recipe converter

for your fix it and forget it recipes use the link to cut down the recipe size so it will fit in your pot. Or you can always try your local Freecycle

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got ya covered..lol these are a few of my favorite sites..... the first one you can tell em what you think of the recipe and read the other reviews see what they say what they would change and so on
    Recipezaar - Recipe index with thousands of free recipes
    Campbell's Kitchen - Home
    CheapCooking.com: Cheap Family Recipes, Easy Recipes, Healthy Recipes
    CookingByNumbers.com
    Supercook: Find recipes that use ingredients you have at home

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just went to the Angel Food Ministries website and they have some great recipes.
    I am gonna try and order a few of the boxes in Feb.

Go to: Welcome- Angel Food Ministries and click on the Recipes column on the right hand side of the screen.

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

redring-Thanks for the converter, I really needed it.

secretlover_at-Those links were great, I've only been able to glance at them, but I will be going through them tonight (while it hopefully snows!)

saunders97-I had looked there, but every time it shows no recipes available. I'll dig a little deeper and see it I can find the ones that you mentioned.

Thanks everyone. Once I figure out what I am doing, I'll post a menu in the other forum.

Shannon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast