help with yarn question

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Crafts & Homemade Items help with yarn question

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      NaturalHealthRep

hi, i’m doing a project and ran into a snafu.

do you know if you can pull yarn from both ends of a skein to use it double. :017:

i know you can pull from one end and use that but will it

screw up the skein if i pulled from the other end too?

My loom project calls for a double strand of yarn or two skeins and I got one gigantic 1lb yarn, not knowing, because I didn’t have my instructions with me.

elizabeth farnsworth

tsgal

Well you could do that, but I would worry about it getting tangled up. Just be careful when you unwind it, that you don’t get the two twisted together. I can see why you ask, it would save you money not to buy another skein of yarn.

Try it out and see if it works for you. I love to do projects on my loom, just don’t have the time I used to have to do them. What kind of project are you making?

JoAnn
      Quote:
      what kind of project are you making

there are alot of crafty people here also. would love for you to share your ideas. try checking out the “social group” with crafts too.

let us know how this works for you..

Janice Terrell

On a skein of yarn, one end pulls from the inside – the other end is on the outside. In theory – one long strand of yarn. You can use both ends together but be very careful.

It is SO easy to get them twisted. It takes some work to get them straightened out. Personally, I would wind half the skein into a ball then cut the yarn.

Now you have 2 separate quantities of yarn to work with. Good luck.

lcove2000

You should be able to do this. It helps if you put straws over each strand so they won’t tangle. Good luck!

Janice Terrell

The idea with straws sounds like an excellent idea. Might have to find some yarn and make something just to try it out.

mdowdy

@Janice Terrell 101976 wrote:

On a skein of yarn, one end pulls from the inside – the other end is on the outside. In theory – one long strand of yarn. You can use both ends together but be very careful.

It is SO easy to get them twisted. It takes some work to get them straightened out. Personally, I would wind half the skein into a ball then cut the yarn.

Now you have 2 separate quantities of yarn to work with. Good luck.

I agree this would be the way I wouldgo also

JoAnn

I would never had thought to

Quote:
      put straws over each strand so they won’t tangle.

i like this thought or tip…

jedda

I have done this before, but even with the straws over the two strands the skein hopped and jumbled around on the floor, and ended up tangled.

Also, I would only try this with SOLID colored yarns. A self-patterning yarn is going to run backwards from the outside, as opposed to being pulled from the center.

611Jen

I always “ball” my yarn before I use makes it alot easier to use no matter what I am working on.

brchbell

When I tried this before it was a tangled mess. I undid it all and rolled it into a ball from both ends. When it got tangled I was able to quickly sort it out until I got it all into the two balls.

Made the project much easier to knit with two separate balls! But of course I tend to do things the hard way. I like the straw idea!

Can’t wait to try it!

magwrit1

I’m knitting a four-color queen-sized bedspread (7 feet by 7 feet) for one of my sons as a gift for the winter holidays, and I was running into the same issue. The clerk at the store gave me the perfect work around that solved my tangled mess:

Put your yarn into a box and slice the lid of the box however many times you need it to accommodate for the number of threads you need. It’s marvelous and a completely free problem solver!

HopeK

@611Jen 113966 wrote:

I always “ball” my yarn before I use makes it alot easier to use no matter what I am working on.

that is what i would suggest…ball the yarn.

hope
      shelbyville, ky

suey

I would ball half of it from the outside and the pull from the inside or you will get tangled up.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Crafts & Homemade Items help with yarn question