Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Bread Machine question

Hello all.
    I have been considering a bread machine for quite some time now. Though I've most always been a "convenience cook", I'm now making different decisions and better choices about what and how I cook.
    One of my thoughts is getting a bread machine and just making my own bread for school and work sandwiches, etc.
    But for those of you that already use one my question is...
    Is it more cost effective to make your own bread in a bread machine than it is to just buy it out of the store (which has gotten quite high!)?
    I'm talking we do 3-4 sandwiches a day for 5 days. I know the quality and taste would be better.
    Just not sure of the cost, etc.
    Thanks in advance to everyone!

Hope you're having a good day!

Vonda

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oldermama For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We go through bread like water around here. In my opinion it is a lot cheaper than buying bread.
    Mdowdy

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I completely agree whether using a bread machine or doing it yourself. Much cheaper than purchasing the bread at the stores.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for posting this question Oldermama. I was wondering the same thing. I have a bread machine, but I thought with all the bread that gets used around here that it was cheaper to buy instead of make...I will have to start making it now. I just got to find a good recipe for wheat bread.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jaime For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using a bread machine for 20 years or longer and MUST have one. The big thing to remember is that homemade bread does not contain preservatives, which is a double-edge sword. It is better for you and it will go moldy faster (no longer a major problem with the new brown bags for storage).

You will have to experiment with different recipes to achieve a "sandwich" bread and the best method to slice it thin. A serrated bread knife is almost a necessity, though some people will use a meat slicer to cut their bread. I've known at least one person that lived close to a bakery and she had them slice her bread in their commercial slicer.

Many people, to avoid the hole in the bottom of the bread loaf, will use the machine for the dough cycle and then finish the bread in the oven. Oh so many options available for you to experiment with making breads.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread:

100% Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/2 cups water -- plus
    2 tablespoons water
    3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
    2 tablespoons dry milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 1/2 tablespoons wheat gluten*
    1 tablespoon molasses
    2 1/8 teaspoons fast rise yeast -- (or 3 tspns active dry yeast)

The trick to making 100% whole wheat bread in your machine is an extra knead, which gives the yeast and gluten a second chance to create a lighter loaf. When your first knead cycle is completed, simply reset the machine and start again. Because of the extra knead, use this recipe only on the regular bake cycle.

Note: Some manufacturers produce home bakeries with a whole wheat cycle; if your machine doesn't have one, this start-again method works as an easy alternative.

* The gluten gives the whole wheat flour the structure necessary for a good loaf. If your market doesn't stock wheat gluten, try your local health food store. Remember the extra knead. It's especially important in 100% whole wheat bread.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

i've never used gluten in my bread.. so not sure what that is like with it... but i have to say i use my machine alot.. not just for bread but.. pizza crust.. rolls (oh my thinking about them now mmm) dinner rolls... anything with bread dough in it i use my machine... and i did have a bread machine that had direction on it for making jam in it.. never did it i don't like cooked jams.. just becareful... your machine has directions on it for YOUR machine.... sometimes using a different recipe for another machine will turn out... um shall we say not so great.. i buy my yeast in bulk at Gordons Food and store it in the fridge till i need it cheaper then just buying small packs been awhile so not to sure what the price of it is now... hope this helps some

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to secretlover_at For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much guys! My birthday is in a couple of months, so now I'm sure of what I will hint around for. lol!
    You know, sometimes the process you go through to make something yourself seems like you'd have been better off just buying the finished product. And that's what I wasn't sure about with bread.
    But now, I will surely start making my own.
    Thanks again!
    Vonda

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oldermama For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast