Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nails ~ Question

OK I am trying to grow out my nails. Is there any home remedies to make them grow faster and stronger? Or is there a specific vitamin that I could take. Also, I had tried looking for that "NO BITE" polish, I do not think they make it anymore. Any ideas on how I could make some. I tried adding hot sauce to some clear polish, that did not work at all. LOL

Help, this is one of my 2009 new years goals. So far so good, but any help would be great.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jkpjohnson For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

For myself, I have noticed that using any kind of hand lotion has helped my nails to grow stronger and longer. I use to bite all of the time. Keeping my hands busy really helps also. If I get to reading to many posts then I will notice myself with my fingers in my mouth . Good luck with this it is such a hard one to break. Maybe psych yourself by thinking of all of the things you touch and what all could be on your finger nails-yuk.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

GET RID OF HANG NAILS !! It helps with the nailbiting

If you have hangnails you will pick at the skin, stick fingers in mouth and before you know it what little nails you have are GONE ..

Right now take clippers and clip the ends of the hang nails as much as possible ..

Then soak nails (or do dishes) push back the cuticles **cuticles sliding down the nails is what causes the hangnails. TIP if you do dishes or have babies (so your hands are constantly in water) keep an orange stick, cuticle pusher right by the sinks

Although you aren't supposed to really clip cuticles unless you know what you are doing I do it because when I am not doing what I am supposed to do they are really really long and then even pushing back they slide down.

I have some no name Eucerin from Rite Aid - this has lanoline in it and very very thick but man does it ever heal up your skin fast ..

Look on line for STOP ZIT - nail biter stuff - it is NASTY, tastes horrible, I will notice the taste even if reading (*I can chew nails even with so call stop nail bit polish) .. Since I can really zone out reading that's something. Its this orangey coloured stuff (it can stain fingers). Very bitter, and has a horrible after taste

I have been chewing nails for way over 50 years .. The only thing that really helped me was fake nails .. When my dd (mental health issues) would go off I would occasionally chew through those too. But generally I could keep the fake nails on

I know some people think they are awful, terrible for nails etc etc . However my nails are crap to put it bluntly, they bend and since they are always in water they are so soft .. I have latex allergy so can't wear the wash gloves doing dishes - need to get the non laytex .. hate wearing gloves too

Once the nails were on I left them on and once the section that had been sanded grew out (I was amazed my nails even grew). My nails underneath weren't too bad, think I left them on for about 3-4 months. They were longer once the fake nails came off, but generally because of washing up they would bend still, etc. I had to remember to put on clear polish to help with the water damage.

Bert got me 2 gift certificates for nails - I need to get them done.

BTW the first time they put them on my nails weren't even 1/4 inch long (not talking about the pinky either).

Ria no-nails in Maine

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

jkpjohnson,
    I don't recommend this, but the only thing that helped me was getting dentures. It is nearly impossible to chew your nails with those..lol.. I also don't recommend my ex Mother in laws solution, and that was to slap me in the face every time she saw me doing it. I can't even tell you how irritating that was. Certainly made me aware of "when NOT to do it" though. I have problems growing nails too, but my problem is that some nails curl up, and some curl under. I have been told that this is a deficiancy, and I'm sure it probably is. I just don't know what kind. I do know that when I was younger, my Mother used to dissolve Jello, and I would drink this daily, for YEARS. And it did help strengthen my nails and help them grow. Might give this a try. Thanks.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mardhines For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh I am right there with you except, I quit biting my nails and I pick them off. They start to chip and peel and I just peel off what's already started. So I can't even do the no-bite stuff because I'm not putting them in my mouth. My husband says I even pick them while I'm sleeping so I don't think I'll ever have nails.

That is horrible getting slapped in the face! People smoke, drink, everyone has something that's not good for them I don't think biting your nails should be anyone's concern.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to atta76 For This Useful Post:

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star

Quote Originally Posted by jkpjohnson View Post
    OK I am trying to grow out my nails. Is there any home remedies to make them grow faster and stronger? Or is there a specific vitamin that I could take.
    Yup, Knox Gelatin will do it. Just follow the directions on the box.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FreebieQueen For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

atta76

Ya, it was always a pretty irritating experience. I'm not sure how much of it was done out of "concern" for me to quit biting my nails, or just a way of releasing pent up frustrations at having me for a daughter in law...LOL.. At any rate, it did make me concious of it while in her company lol.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mardhines For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have bit my nails ever since I can remember. I have even bit the thumb nail TOTALLY OFF on my left hand!! I was 8 years old too!! It looks pretty bad! I have tried everything. From that nasty polish they used to make to fake nails. I bit that nasty polish off and also the fake nails, but then when those fake nails came off..my nails were a mess and very brittle!! Well I couldnt stand working with a bunch of woman would all had beautiful hands and gorgeous nails. My resolution last year was to grow my nails back. Well I have nails on my right hand only. The left is still short...then I decided this year that I will stop completely!! I have long nails on my right hand and ALREADY I have nails (small) on my left (with the exception of my thumb - cause the doctor said that may never grow back) *fingers crossed* I do find myself sometimes putting my fingers in my mouth, but the will power is working for now.

This sounds gross * but my daughter told me that she learned that you can get pin worms from biting you nails. This thought has also helped me stop

Good luck on this!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast