Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need some ideas!

I need some ideas on a breakfast that is high in protein but relatively low in fat.

Because of work, I move almost all the time and don't get much long for any type of break and it can be 6 or more hours after breakfast before I get my lunch.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mmclean11 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You probably need complex carbs to last, not just simple carbs too. Go with w/w etc vs white flours

Eat your lunch for breakfast and breakfast for lunch. Sounds weird but works. Save out left overs (freeze extras) and use for breakfast, then at lunch eat breakfast or lighter meal

I am throwing in protein powder into my pancake mix, he doesn't know it but buckwheat is getting put in too (*I noticed Bert gets a slump 4 hours after carbs, so his sugars are starting to get a little off).

For some reason corn pancakes don't seem to have the same slump as flour pancakes

Eggs alone don't seem to hold. I have a Save a Lot nearby and use the 3# package of smoked sausages take one slice down twice, hold tight cut into coins (now you have 1/4 coins) toss a small handfull into the pan, onions, veggies etc .. Add eggs, egg whites and I am starting to add protein powder to it too. If you make these up on weekend you can freeze them for breakfasts .. you can put on sandwich, into tortillas or eat alone .. the next batch of eggs I am going to add in tofu
    **My sister used to toss in some crushed up saltines into scrambled eggs - these were good

You can also make up tofu and use in place of eggs. It actually makes a great 'egg salad', so good my son likes it.

Ria

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

how about these? they have 25+ g of protein and serve four, so adjust to fit your needs OR eat later in the week
    Baked Eggs Florentine
    1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
    1/2 cup half and half
    1/4 tsp nutmeg, grated
    8 eggs
    1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
    4 slices pumpernickel rye bread, toasted, optional
    Preheat oven to 325°F. Place spinach in a sieve and press to squeeze out as much water as possible. Spread spinach in bottom of 4 baking pans lightly buttered shallow ramekins or individual gratin dishes. Drizzle each with 1 Tbs. half and half. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Carefully break 2 eggs eggs into each dish. Drizzle with remaining milk and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes, until whites are just set and cheese is melted. Serve with toast if desired.

Baked Eggs in Potatoes
    4 large baking potatoes
    olive oil spray
    2 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (optional)
    2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
    2 oz Swiss cheese, grated
    1 tsp caraway seed
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    8 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    2 oz mushrooms, finely diced
    8 eggs
    Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray each potato with oil. Bake about 40 minutes or until potato yields to pressure. Combine grated cheeses with caraway seeds in a small bowl. Set aside. Melt butter in a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté scallions, bell pepper and mushrooms 5-7 minutes until softened. Cut cooked potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a .25 in. thick shell. Refrigerate potato flesh for another use, such as hash browns. Place potato shells on a baking sheet. Sprinkle 1-1/2 tsp. cheese mixture into each shell. Break 1 egg into each shell. Bake about 8 minutes or until eggs are barely set. Remove from oven. Turn on broiler. Sprinkle each egg-potato with remaining cheese. Top with vegetable mixture. Broil until cheese just melts or about 1 minute.

Baked Eggs Mornay
    1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 cups milk, hot
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated
    2 egg yolks
    8 eggs
    4 parsley sprigs
    Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt 4 Tbs. butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat about 1 minute, or until bubbly. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Continue to whisk slowly until sauce is smooth and thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Boil about 2 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Stir in cheeses and cook another 2 minutes, or until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Transfer 1/4 cup of sauce to a small bowl and beat with egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to sauce. Whisk in remaining butter. Cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Pour sauce into a buttered baking dish large enough to hold eggs and sauce. Break eggs one at a time onto a saucer and transfer gently over the Mornay sauce. Lightly butter a piece of wax paper. Place over baking dish and bake 6-7 minutes, or longer if harder eggs are desired. Garnish with parsley and serve.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do Yogurt up for Breakfast sometimes

I put plain yogurt in then some fruit, a spoon full of jam (I use Polamer All Fruit) and a little Grapenuts and continue to layer it to fill my container. We might use Strawberries with Strawberry jam or mixed Berries with Raspberry jam. I make them up the night before and everyone tells me which fruit they want. I use unsweetened fruit from my freezer usually except in summer. I got some tall clear glass ice cream glasses to use for this and we all love them. I don't usually care for grapenuts but it works great in this. We might also put whole wheat toast with it.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post: