Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Question on quiting smoking

I debated on whether to ask this or not but then figured it is saving money if I quit smokiing. So here goes. Does anyone have any tips on making this easier? Thanks
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have friends that have quit using the patches (Nicoderm, Walmart brand is cheaper). I tried them but was allergic to the tape. It is not easy to quit. No matter what you do it will be hard. Good luck.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Margaret K For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no advice have tried many times and methods and so far none have worked Good luck!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suey For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, I was afraid there might not be much out there. I do have some samples for the gum, I am going to try those. The gum though is almost more expensive than smoking (for the time you need to use it).
    Mdowdy

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK here is my input. I have tried everything patch, pill, gum, Committ, for me they do not work, they make me feel sick and are very spendy.

What has worked for me (at least to cut down drastically) is this, I think it is kinda gross, but it works.

I do not by cigs during the week, instead I bought a pipe and some tabacco. When I feel like a drag, I use this (taking a few drags off a cig does not work, normally smoke the whole thing before I know it). Puts a little nicotine in my system, takes care of the inhale habit. In addition, I would not do this out in public, hence I do not smoke outside of the home. I am cutting back alot and saving money, eventually I will not do the pipe thing any longer.

I do buy 1 pack on the weekend (need it with my beer for now). It is kinda a treat for not smoking a cig during the week. But really, I do not enjoy a full cig anymore, a small pipe hit here and there is just fine.

I use to smoke 2+ packs of Marlboro Red's per day. My throat hurts now after a few cigs on the weekend. This seems to work for me and it is much cheaper than the pills, gum and meds, even cigs. Bulk tabacco is very cheap.

Hope that helps.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jkpjohnson For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't believe there is an "easier" way to quit. I am getting a prescription from my DR. for Chantix. I know people who have used it, and it works. Of course, like all medications, its not recommened for everyone, and there are side effects, which you "may" or may not have. I am willing to take the risk. And if I am not mistaken, most insurances will pay for it. I can't even believe I EVER started smoking again. I hadn't smoked in nearly 15yrs. Went through a messy divorce with a man I had been married to for 25 years. I met my present husband, who was at the time a long haul truck driver, and if any of you know a truck driver personally, most "chain smoke", just for the express purpose of staying alert, and having something to occupy their time. My husband "chain" lit cigarettes, and what I mean by that is this, he would light one right after the other, hold them, maybe take one.. or two puffs, all the while, holding it. After that one burned out, he would light another. He was always good about opening windows, but unfortunetly, as you smokers know, that really doesn't help much. I quickly became again addicted to tobacco. So, here I am, a smoker again, after all that time. I AM QUITTING!!! And this time, for good. I HATE IT. Thanks for listening to me rant.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mardhines For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wish I could tell you it will be easy. If you are a hardcore addict, go to your family doctor and get a script for chavtix or zoloft or wellbutrin. Discuss using combinations of gum, patch, and script with him. I needed all three. It's not the nicotine-you clear that out in a week. It's the physcological need or crutch that's a b*tch(pardon language) Use suarfree gum(my crutch), lolli pops, mints, hard candy-anything to replace that need to have something in your hands/mouth. Start a big project that occupies your hands and mind. Realize that, at first you'll stumble and light up-get right back up and don't "give up"

My heart and prayers are with you. I know what a fight it is. Been there-done that.

Smoke free come Jan. 16th for 3 years.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crankymae For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am getting a prescription from my DR. for Chantix. I know people who have used it, and it works. Of course, like all medications, its not recommened for everyone, and there are side effects, which you "may" or may not have. I am willing to take the risk.
    Chantix does work and is covered by prescription plus coupons on their support site-have to have a prescription to get it.

WARNING: Chantix does have side effects for some people, myself being one. I tried and for the first month it worked like a charm-no desire to smoke period. The second month I had to quit using it. For no reason at all I would just start screaming at the kids, throwing things, and just uncontrollably angry with life in general. The medicine does alter your way of thinking. I couldn't help it. One part of me could see something was wrong, my family just chalked it up to quitting smoking. But I would blow up just because one of the boys would say "I don't like dinner". After I stopped taking the medicine-quit the minute I was able to realize it was the medicine, I stopped being angry. Some folks have even become suicidal by using the medicine.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast