Results 1 to 1 of 1
01-12-2009, 07:56 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- outside Philadelphia, PA
- Blog Entries
Spicy Southwestern Meat Loaf with Special Sauce
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
11⁄2 fresh jalapeño peppers, quartered and seeded (see Note)
1 lb ground turkey
1⁄2 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 oz cream cheese
Special Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Have ready a 9 x 5 x 2-in. loaf pan.
2. Put onion, garlic and jalapeño peppers into a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
3. Scrape mixture into a large bowl; add turkey and remaining ingredients. Mix well using hands or a wooden spoon, or put ingredients in the large bowl of a stand (not handheld) mixer fitted with a paddle or kneading hook and mix on low speed. Pat evenly in loaf pan.
4. Bake 45 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 165°F. Serve with Special Sauce.
Note: When handling hot peppers, don’t touch your eyes or other sensitive areas until you’ve washed your hands well.
Makes 3⁄4 cup Active: 12 min/Total: 12 min
1⁄2 cup dry red wine
2 tsp flour
1⁄4 cup milk
2 Tbsp stick butter, cut in small pieces
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1⁄4 tsp hot-pepper sauce (optional)
1⁄8 tsp salt, or to taste
1⁄4 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Stir wine and flour with a whisk in a small saucepan until blended. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened. Stir in milk; heat until barely simmering.
2. Off heat, stir in butter, Worcestershire sauce, hot-pepper sauce (if using) and salt until butter melts, then stir in cilantro.
Per 2 Tbsp: 59 cal, 1 g pro, 2 g car, 0 g fiber, 4 g fat (3 g sat fat), 12 mg chol, 112 mg sod