What is your opionion Nielsen's Homescan- Product Opinions & Questions

What is your opionion on Nielsen's Homescan ? Nielsen's Homescan Consumer Panel is a "mini-U.S.A.," representing millions of Americans. Does anyone have this in home scanning system. Let me know what you think, how long you have had it in use and the type of awards they have to offer. The Pros &

buy, computer, finally, hand, home, information, items, list, locations, online, points, real, scan, stamp, store, stores, time, week, win, works, nielsens, homescan, opionion, long, awards, pros, cons, please.-----thanks-----, offer, type, scanning, mini-u.s.a, representing, millions, panel, consumer, americans, system

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question What is your opionion Nielsen's Homescan

What is your opionion on Nielsen's Homescan ?

Nielsen's Homescan Consumer Panel is a "mini-U.S.A.," representing millions of Americans. Does anyone have this in home scanning system. Let me know what you think, how long you have had it in use and the type of awards they have to offer. The Pros & Cons please.-----Thanks-----
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think my parents do the internet one. My dad says it just tracks what you do & they get a check for like $50 a few times a year. Sounds pretty simple.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for some input Rte. I thought there may two types to this company. Maybe I'll learn a little more here the next few days.
    JoAnn

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

i havent heard of one online? Any idea what company this is with? Also is the purpose of these homescan things to earn free things or what?
    Mdowdy

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nielsen's is the Ratings company. They have tv scans, internet scans. Basically, they send a little box that is hooked up to your tv (for the tv ratings one). It keeps an account of what you watch. Its how they decide what show are popular, etc. You know, like when you hear on tv that a certain show is "Number one in the Nielsen Rating.")

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't mind checking this out, anyone have a web address?

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rtebalt View Post
    Nielsen's is the Ratings company. They have tv scans, internet scans. Basically, they send a little box that is hooked up to your tv (for the tv ratings one). It keeps an account of what you watch. Its how they decide what show are popular, etc. You know, like when you hear on tv that a certain show is "Number one in the Nielsen Rating.")
    I dont know why, maybe I'm just paranoid but it seems to me this is just another way for big brother to make his way into your home. I'm sure it's just for studies etc but Im a little skeptical on things of this nature.
    Mdowdy

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdowdy View Post
    I dont know why, maybe I'm just paranoid but it seems to me this is just another way for big brother to make his way into your home. I'm sure it's just for studies etc but Im a little skeptical on things of this nature.
    Yeh, I'm usually skeptical too, but this company is very well knwn & has been around forever, so I wouldn't be worried about them. My parents have been doing it for years.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I do the Nielsen scan thing, just started. They sent us a scanner thing with a big book of instructions. We read through it and my 19yr old took the job upon himself. You scan all the stuff that you buy online and locally. enter the codes and once a week submit your stuff from the hand held scanner via the phone. We've submitted twice and done two 2 minute surveys and have 1900 points so far. I don't remember anything about cash money but it is a way for us to get things we'd like but will never buy on our own--much to frugal now a days ! You should be able to find out about it at their site: https://www.homescan.com/homescan/US/EN/Login.htm

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

brchbell,

Thanks for the info on this one. I know also that they put you on a list and only hand out so many (certain areas and certain times of the year).

To become a member of the Homescan Consumer Panels, please complete our online registration. (If you have already signed up, please do not register again. Only one membership per household.) Once we receive your household information, you will be placed on a Reserve Status Waiting List. Homescan will then randomly select households to join the panel. This ensures that the panel truly reflects the country's diverse population. Thanks for your interest
    JoAnn

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been a member for a couple of months now. It is like brchbell said, you get a hand scanner and you record all of your purchases-online and in the real store. Once a week you connect the scanner to your computer and transmit the information of what you have purchased. It helps them to report back to the stores what people buy and when and also keeps track of prices in different locations for comparisons. It can be a little time consuming because you stand in line at the store for them to ring everything up then you come home and do it all over again before you put the items away. It has taken a little while to work out a pattern/routine that works.

I was on the waiting list for five years before I finally got selected. As far as what you earn it is sort of like the old S & H stamp collecting (for those who remember that ) you earn points then can turn them in for different items. The do enter you in for cash giveaways-but the odds of winning can be high since you are competeing with all the other people who scan as well.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as what you earn it is sort of like the old S & H stamp collecting(for those who remember that )

Wow that does seem like ages ago. But yes I remember those.
    JoAnn

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the website, I did look it over. But the only thing is, I don't shop online. So this may not be the right thing for me. Thanks

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

But the only thing is, I don't shop online. So this may not be the right thing for me.
    You record any purchase you make even freebies you get. It is not just for online purchases. They want to know what does an average household purchase. If you purchase out of a machine, you scan that information as well.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been doing this for a couple years and so has my friend, we have gotten some really nice gifts too...the home scan is worth a try!! You have nothing to loose and they use the info you scan for reporting purposes ....
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast