Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy My spending is out of control. Please help me stop

Can anyone help me get my spending under control? As soon as I get paid, I blow it. The more I make, the more I spend. Please help me.

Thank you,

Cathy
    Cathy

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CATHYKEE For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up learning my lesson when my computer died on me. I had to save up for a few months to make up for it.

I usually notice I need to buy something when I go out so I'll try to find the cheapest thing possible if I didn't need anything.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tarrien For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

First question: Do you have a budget?

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ever thought about a CD??
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Before we can really offer you help we need a little more information.
    Are you able to pay your bills currently? Do you owe money? Do you have a budget set up? Are you asking for help with your general budgeting or for saving money?
    Thanks

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the same problem - I am learning self control -also I am now caring a notebook That I write down every penny I spend .Even those pops and candy bars from the fast stop .Also I have started to make a budget -It is hard to stick to -even harder to tell your kids no , but that is the only way I am going to be able to off my cedit card debt. Hope this helps .Bobbi -NE

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bcoffey68359 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know what your situation is but the ladies are right, you do need a budget and people here are more than willing to give you some guidelines on that.
    If you are bringing home more money than you need for your living expenses (budget) you might be able to arrange for an automatic deposit from your paycheck into a savings plan. If you don't have it in your hands you won't spend it so freely. You need to give yourself a weekly allowance and not go over that and not touch the money you're putting up.( It helps if you have a long range goal that you're saving for)
    Also don't charge anything, that only digs a deeper hole. You can change your spending habits "IF YOU REALLY WANT TO" and you have found a wonderful site for information, and some great people who are willing to help. IT'S UP TO YOU, you've already taken the first step by admitting you have a problem.
    Niddi

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'll share a great tip - this has helped many people with their budgets - but you have to have a budget first. First you figure out how much money should go to everything: tithe, rent, car pmt, gas, electricity, groceries, eating out money, toiletries, pets, etc. (There are many budget sites that can help you with this.) Then, for as many areas as you can (ie- groceries, toiletries, pets, allowance, eating out money, entertainment) you withdraw that money out of the bank after you get paid & put each amount into its own specially marked envelope. This will help you to stay on budget. For example, lets say you budget $30 every paycheck for "Entertainment" (you know, going to a movie, putt-putt, renting a movie, etc.) Once you have spent that $30, then you don't have any more entertainment money until next paycheck. I know this sounds a little simplistic, but it REALLY helps. Then, after you are secure in your budget & routinely doing it correctly, you could stop with drawing the money & keep records if you like. This really helped Hubbie & me. Its hard at first. Especially getting onto a budget. I remember, there were times when I had to take money out of our "grocery" envelope to help pay bills or buy gas for the car, but after just a little while it began to run so smoothly! Using the envelope system will help to keep you from over-spending. (Its far too easy - at least for me - to just spend without thinking when I'm not using the envelopes. The envelopes will also help you learn how to "work within your budget." I remember one time Hubbie & I saw a beautiful picture at Target that we wanted to buy for our living room. It cost about $65 - way more than we wanted to take out of savings. So, we took what was left of our allowance - about $35, my haircut money - $10 (I didn't need a haircut anytime soon), $15 from groceries (leftover money that we had), & $5 from our toiletries (also leftover money). Voila! $65! That really helped us learn to be responsible with our money. We didn't just spend out of savings without thinking about it.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast