Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trying to get the hang of this!

I am still learning a lot about how to get comfortable with a budget. We switched our phone to a voice-over IP service. I hated it at first because it sounded like voices were echoing but it's very cheap and has caller id, call waiting and free long distance.

We have a cable modem for our internet service because my husband does a lot of work from home. It comes with 20 basic cable channels so we deal with having only those channels for now. We might step up in a couple of months but honestly, we aren't really missing the channels we used to have.

I am trying to figure out my grocery spending to get it down. We are a family of five, sometimes six when stepson comes to visit. I spend $150 each week on groceries which includes toilet paper, cleaning supplies and everything. I am good about going through the coupons in the Sunday paper but my printer is out of ink right now so I can't print out any to use. Our local Publix just quit taking printed coupons anyway so I'm not sure where I would use them. I did comparison pricing and Publix is the best bet for what we buy (which really surprised me, I thought Wal-Mart would win for sure). I think the most expensive thing that I buy each week is lunchmeat for the kids school lunch and husband to take to work. That's about $25 by itself.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to atta76 For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a tip to help you cut down the $25 lunch meat expense:
    If you like a ham type meat, by the pre-cooked ham in the meat department and slice your own-you can get a nice size for under $10 and you will have lots of meat. Do the same thing if you like a turkey breast, buy the breast, you can cook it and slice it yourself. The sad part is that you end up having the cost of the slicing adding in when you buy it in the deli or pre-packaged section of the store. You can buy these, slice them and freeze what you will not use up in one week. Just take it out and thaw in the fridge when you need it for the next week.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I buy the pre-cooked ham & turkey breast andhave the butcher slice it for me for free. It cuts the cost in 1/2 and the slices are nice and thin.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fosterfamily5 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wilbe95 View Post
    Here is a tip to help you cut down the $25 lunch meat expense:
    If you like a ham type meat, by the pre-cooked ham in the meat department and slice your own-you can get a nice size for under $10 and you will have lots of meat. Do the same thing if you like a turkey breast, buy the breast, you can cook it and slice it yourself. The sad part is that you end up having the cost of the slicing adding in when you buy it in the deli or pre-packaged section of the store. You can buy these, slice them and freeze what you will not use up in one week. Just take it out and thaw in the fridge when you need it for the next week.
    Great idea! I never thought of this! Thanks!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post: