Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb This is what I did to create our budget

1. I kept up with everything that went out or came in. Even if it was a 25 cent sucker it went on the list. At the end of the month I totaled everything to see exactly how much we spent for that month on what. I did this for a couple more months to see if anything changed or varied from month to month.

2. I made a list of all current expenses and how much they were

3. Figured exactly what we had coming in.

4. prioritized the bills what had to be paid no matter what and what was important but was not a necessity. My necessities include the house payment, car insurance, my internet(for school), groceries, and phone service (not cell unless that is the only phone service). you can live without most everything else if it comes down to it.

5. On the list of expenses I wrote down how much they cost from my studies from the previous months on where our money was going. If there was a way to reduce them, I did. everything that was left went into the grocery category. This way when i subtracted from the grocery category for the other things like cable tv and my cell in my head I was taking food out of our mouths. Thinking this made it possible to say ok I am only spending this much on these things.

6. I then went and found what I needed to change to get my cell and the cable tv down to where I needed it to be or less.

of course during this time I am continually adding and subtracting to make sure i am under the amount we bring in.

7. I then had my limit for everything we needed as well as the cable tv and cell. Then I looked at what I had for groceries and worked on that figure. I am still working on getting the groceries down to as low as possible as well as the cable and cell to give me more to work on with groceries since the prices keep fluctuating.

We did have debts at one time, to get rid of these I used the snowball system. We paid the absolute minimum on all the bills we had and threw any extra on the lowest one until it was paid off and continued the system until we worked through all debts. Our total to begin with was not that high compared to other totals I have seen, it took about 2 years to pay it all off (of course this will be different depending on how much you owe out). We did have a couple where I could not pay what the collections agency wanted and I sent it what I could, they didn't send it back. They did try to take me to court and I explained to the judge I was trying to pay and they said they would not accept what I could pay even though it was all I had at the time. I also told him even though they said they would not accept it I continued to send it in and have not received one payment back. The judge fussed at the company and told them at least I was attempting to pay and had not filed bankruptcy which I could have done. I am not sure this will work for everyone but it did for me. Hope this helps some
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh yeah and to help with the collectors calling, I talked to them once told them what I could pay and then bought a phone where I could save the number the next time they called and set the ringtone to none. They would call the phone would ring but I would never hear it. This way they were not irritating me to death and I was sending in what I could.
    Mdowdy

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

For my budgetting I have to check a few things here and there to make sure I come out with some spare money here and there.

1. Set aside rent. This is priority no exceptions. (rent includes bills and meds*)

2. Set aside about $20 a month for pet expenses. I will rarely use that much but there are times when ferret or crabs need more food or sawdust/sand. Or there might be an emergency in a later month if I didn't spend all $20 in the past months- that I can dig out of the fund for them.

3. Food. I'll go cheap on food, don't get me wrong, but I still want to make sure I'm getting all my nutrition

And if I still have money left over I'll treat myself or friends to a small present (something under $10) here and there.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tarrien For This Useful Post: