Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart Could someone tell me if this is a scam or is it real?

Mix/Bisquick
    Warning-Pancake/Cake Mix/Bisquick
    Hi everyone,
    A student at HBHS had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal.
    His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores.
    Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic!

Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, Bisquick, brownie mixes etc you have in your home.
    You can check this websit.... snopes.com: Pancake Mix and Allergic Reaction
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've heard this story before... and i believe it to be true. Maybe i'm a sucker but I always believe snopes to be a good source of information. i check there often (used to daily) to read up on current rumors and they try their best at disproving/proving them to be true or false. And when they can't - they say it's undetermined.

But if I remember correctly,you have to have a strong allergy to mold for anything like this to happen! So if you do, it's probably important to keep all your dry goods in your refrigerator just in case and to check it's expiration dates. This doesn't seem too far-fetched to happen since some pancake boxes are made of cardboard and could get damp somewhere or somehow and grow mold in the meantime!

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to starsinnight For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

The information about mold is true, but the story itself cannot be verified. It is typical of Internet emails and the information is quite old. It goes back to a Dear Abby column in 2006. The internet emails tend to sensationalize and scare people.

All food born molds, yeasts, fungi and bacteria have potential to cause sickness of some level and our immune systems determine how well they can be dealt with on a daily basis. The next time you get 'flu symptoms' or have diarrhea, think about it. Your body may be fighting off a mild case of food poisoning.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The next time you get 'flu symptoms' or have diarrhea, think about it. Your body may be fighting off a mild case of food poisoning.
    You know, I have often wondered about this-is it really a stomach virus, flu, etc or was the chicken, fish, etc not cooked completely.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the same way since I have a very sensitive stomach. But then again, only I seem to get sick after meals, where family tends to be fine. So this makes me also think what other allergies I have that i might not be aware of?

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to starsinnight For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe the research says that nearly 94% of reported "flu" cases were actually traced back to food poisoning. The symptoms are the same. The problem is that people don't think about food poisoning as a probably cause so it is not reported as such when seeking medical help.

And you are correct. Food poisoning will be different for each person, even in the same household, and again, if it is mild discomfort it is not really connected to food poisoning.

Most of it is not "life threatening", but it should raise a question on how to make improvements in the normal routine to reduce incidents. And its not really of cooked food issues, but rather the utensils and environment we are in that were exposed to raw foods where things can grow.

I love the tooth brush issue and bath towels that are covered with fecal cells from the mist from a toilet. Hard to avoid, but gross still.
    Last edited by mcnerd; 01-08-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love the tooth brush issue and bath towels that are covered with fecal cells from the mist from a toilet. Hard to avoid, but gross still.
    Oh man I have to just block that out competely or I would never brush my teeth or shower! I am a little bit of a germaphobic. Have to watch myself wondering did someone actually use soap before the opened the restroom doors. Oh the mental games I play with myself

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

All food born molds, yeasts, fungi and bacteria have potential to cause sickness of some level and our immune systems determine how well they can be dealt with on a daily basis.
    So many people just don't take the time to rethink this whole theory.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast