Anyone make candles?

I used to before making soap but always did basic stuff. Soap is so much fun because there are so many recipes and different types you can do. Does anyone have any fun ideas for making candles?

boxes, easy, fun, girls, hard, hat, hey, kinda, lady, local, love, melt, party, people, scents, set, shape, soap, stamp, year, making, candles, types, recipes, ideas, make, stuff, basic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone make candles?

I used to before making soap but always did basic stuff. Soap is so much fun because there are so many recipes and different types you can do.

Does anyone have any fun ideas for making candles?

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to starsinnight For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

hhhmmm nope. I only do cp soap. I love soaping. candels are not too hard. They are verry melt and pour. Add colors, scents, imbeds. My local ren fair has a candel lady I talked to last year. She has people make there own in sand boxes. They stamp the shape into the sand , set the wick in and just pour the wax. kinda fun. I always think that It would be easy to set up for a girls party.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've always wanted to make my own candles. I really like the gel candles, but I've also heard that the soy candles are better for burning. Doesn't leave black on the jar and burns cleaner. If you have any tip on how to make them, it would be great. Thanks.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

your right, it is kinda just melt and pour... you buy the wax in bulk and melt it in a double boiler or microwave and pour into the molds with a wick.

i used to buy this beeswax sheets that were neat - where you roll them up over the wick instead. i wonder if they still sell these. they came out neat, all bumpy, and no melting needed.

i guess the fun with candles would be the decorating them or the jars you use. i guess you could also mix colors or use glitter. you could also put chunks in them of smaller shapes? hmm.. im gonna have to go to the craft store and see what they have.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to starsinnight For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My D made a basket of dipped firestarter pinecones for her one grandparents (they have a woodburning stove) which was so easy...but very time consuming. You just tie wick to the top of the pinecone and dip in the wax, then in cold water, then wax until you get the desired thickness. We let them cool on wax paper.

Then, she used the left over wax and made ice candles for her other grandparents (she seen it on tv). We used an old pringles can. You hold a taper candle in the middle, pour a little wax in to set the candle, then add crushed ice, then a little wax and repeat till you have the size you wish. You have to let the candle set for a while (we waited 2 hours) and then pealed the pringles can. It was very messy...lots of water came out so do the pealing over the sink. We set them on a towel to dry for a couple of days, turning them. every now and then. The candles looked really neat they have little holes where the ice was.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaime For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This response is given with the greatest respect and concern for all, and do encourage people to learn new crafts.

I make soy candles and melts (as well as a variety of other home fragrance items). It is fun and I enjoy it very much. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but I have to say.... that making candles while not hard it is time consuming and expensive to get started. You should test your candles for the proper burn before giving them to anyone, wouldn't want someone's house to burn down. They can be dangerous if not wicked properly or the fragrance oil is not used at the correct percentage. I spent 1 year testing before I had a candle that I could comfortably give to another person. Can't tell you how many candles started on fire before getting my formula figured out.

I really hope this is not taken as a negative but as a caution. If you are making candles for yourself as long as you are cautious and burn them properly you can have a lot of fun and some nice candles to enjoy.

While I don't condsider myself an expert by any means and I only make candles in containers, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me, if I can help I will gladly. I know that the craft stores have small amounts of wax you can purchase as well as all the supplies. That is what I used when I started. Just be careful because before you know it you will be addicted and will grow from there.

Linda
    "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to candleladymn For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hear you on the expensive part. it cost me hundreds to start soaping. I had to collect each item needed one at a time till I had everything. I thought I would never get there. Then I look around and everyone and there brother soaps!!! How do they afford it??

Quote Originally Posted by candleladymn View Post
    This response is given with the greatest respect and concern for all, and do encourage people to learn new crafts.

I make soy candles and melts (as well as a variety of other home fragrance items). It is fun and I enjoy it very much. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but I have to say.... that making candles while not hard it is time consuming and expensive to get started. You should test your candles for the proper burn before giving them to anyone, wouldn't want someone's house to burn down. They can be dangerous if not wicked properly or the fragrance oil is not used at the correct percentage. I spent 1 year testing before I had a candle that I could comfortably give to another person. Can't tell you how many candles started on fire before getting my formula figured out.

I really hope this is not taken as a negative but as a caution. If you are making candles for yourself as long as you are cautious and burn them properly you can have a lot of fun and some nice candles to enjoy.

While I don't condsider myself an expert by any means and I only make candles in containers, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me, if I can help I will gladly. I know that the craft stores have small amounts of wax you can purchase as well as all the supplies. That is what I used when I started. Just be careful because before you know it you will be addicted and will grow from there.

Linda

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by redring View Post
    I hear you on the expensive part. it cost me hundreds to start soaping. I had to collect each item needed one at a time till I had everything. I thought I would never get there. Then I look around and everyone and there brother soaps!!! How do they afford it??
    I currently am pouring around 150 different fragrances (that is just the ones that tested successfully) probably have 30-40 more fragrances that did not turn out or have not been tested yet. I don't like to think about the amount of money I have tied up in inventory.

I know I have seen so many soapers and B&B people at the craft shows I sell at. I have always wondered how they make their products stand out. Soap is something I really do not have any interest in making - for a variety of reasons. But I do appreciate those of you who go throught the effort and time to make it.

I absolutely enjoy looking at everyone's soap creations. Is there a place that you have pictures of yours posted so I might see them? Do you sell yours? If so in what venue?

Sorry did not mean to hijack this thread.

Linda
    "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to candleladymn For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast