St. Pat's Pinwheels
St. Pat's Pinwheel
1-1/4 cups (300 mL) granulated sugar
1 cup (250 mL) Golden Crisco Shortening
1/4 cup (60 mL) corn syrup or regular pancake syrup
1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour (plus 4 tablespoons/60 ml, divided)
3/4 tsp (3 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) peppermint extract
Green food colour
1. Combine sugar and shortening in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of
electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, syrup and vanilla. Beat until
well blended and fluffy.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to
creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until well blended. Divide dough in half.
3. Place one half in medium bowl. Add peppermint extract and food colour, a
few drops at a time, until desired shade of green is reached. Wrap both
dough halves with plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
4. Spread 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of flour on large sheet of waxed paper. Place
one half of dough on floured paper. Flatten slightly with hands. Turn dough
over and cover with another large sheet of waxed paper. Roll dough into 14 x
9-inch (35 x 23 cm) rectangle. Set aside. Repeat procedure with other dough
5. Remove the top sheet of waxed paper from both of rolled-out doughs.
Invert plain dough onto green dough, lining up edges carefully. Roll layers
together lightly. Remove waxed paper from plain dough. Trim to form
rectangle with clean edges. Starting with long side, roll dough in a
jelly-roll fashion, using bottom sheet of waxed paper as guide. Wrap in
waxed paper and transfer to freezer. Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
(Dough should be very firm, and may be sliced when frozen.)
6. Pre-heat oven to 375?F (190?C). Place sheets of foil on countertop for
7. Remove dough from freezer. Remove wrapping. Cut into 1/4-inch (6 mm)
thick slices. Place slices 2 inches (5 cm) apart on ungreased baking sheet.
8. Bake one baking sheet at a time at 375?F (190?C) for 7 to 9 minutes, or
until cookies are just very lightly browned. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool on baking
sheet two minutes. Remove to foil to cool completely.
Makes: About 3 dozen cookies
Tags for this Thread