Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question I need Help with Freezing Meals !!!

As most of you know I am expecting in July !!! I am really trying to be more prepared this time. SO I would really like to have some meals and dishes frozen before July. I have a few ideas but I was wondering of any of y'all had any good recipes that freeze well. I thought that I can make about 5 or 6 meals a month to freeze starting this month so that way I will be done cooking and freezing by the end of June. So any help or tips advice you might have would be truly appreciated !!! Also if you have any other tips on how I can be more prepared this go around I would be truly greatful !!! Thanx

Mandy
    Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD. Psalm 127:3
    There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil.
    Exodus 23:26

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to incheck4real For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't freeze many meals, but I wanted to help, so I've found some recipes that freeze well. I hope these hlp you.

Spicy Freezer Chili
    1 lb. ground beef
    2 onions, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 (14 oz.) cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
    1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
    1 Tbsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    2 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1/4 cup water

Cook ground beef with onions and garlic in heavy skillet until ground beef is brown and vegetables are tender; drain. Mix all ingredients except cornstarch and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes. If you want a thicker chili, mix cornstarch and water in small bowl until smooth and add to chili, stirring well. Uncover and cook for about 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. 8 servings

To freeze, do not add cornstarch and water. Cool quickly in refrigerator, then place in plastic freezer containers and freeze until solid. To reheat, place chili in saucepan with 1/4 cup water and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reheated. At this point you can add the cornstarch and water mixture if you'd like a thicker chili.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Veggie Pasta Shells

24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
    1 (10-ounce) can vegetable broth
    1 carrot, minced
    1 potato, peeled and diced
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 egg
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    1 (28-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse, drain, and let cool.

In a large saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Stir in carrots, potatoes and onions and cook 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender. Drain vegetables well. Combine with ricotta, mozzarella, egg, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Stir in Italian seasoning. Fill each cooked and cooled shell with this cheese mixture.

Pour 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer on the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

To freeze, refrigerate at this point until cold. Then wrap, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw whole casserole overnight in refrigerator. Bake as directed below, adding 15-20 minutes to baking time. To thaw and reheat individual shells, microwave on 40% power for 2-4 minutes until thawed. Then microwave on 60% power for 1-3 minutes until hot and bubbly.
    To bake immediately, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Then uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly. Serves 8-10

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chicken Potato Casserole

10 oz. can condensed reduced fat and sodium cream of chicken soup
    1 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup milk
    2 cups cubed cooked chicken
    1-1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    3-1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
    1-1/2 cups frozen peppers and onions, thawed
    1-1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1-1/2 cups crushed potato chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine soup, sour cream, milk, chicken and 1-1/4 cups cheese. Spread three-quarters of this mixture in a greased 2-quart baking dish.

Sprinkle hash browns and peppers and onions over the top of the casserole and press down lightly, then top vegetables with remaining soup mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and potato chips.

Bake casserole, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. 8 servings

To freeze, assemble casserole as directed, except do not thaw potatoes, peppers, or onions and do not sprinkle with potato chips. Wrap casserole in freezer wrap or heavy duty foil and freeze. Reserve potato chips in pantry. To thaw and bake, let thaw overnight in refrigerator. Uncover and bake at 350 degrees F for 60-70 minutes until bubbly. Then top with crushed potato chips and bake 5-10 minutes longer.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chile Rice Casserole

2 cups cooked white rice
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    4 oz. can chopped green chilies or jalapenos, well drained
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix rice, milk, eggs, chilies and 1 cup cheese in large bowl. Pour into greased 1-1/2 quart glass casserole dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes until set.

To make and freeze, undercook rice by about 5 minutes. Combine all ingredients and cool in refrigerator until cold. Wrap thoroughly, labell, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator, stir well and bake at 350 degrees F for 60-75 minutes until set and top is golden brown. Serves 6

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vegetable Chicken Casserole

8 oz. medium egg noodles
    1 cup water
    1-1/2 cups chicken broth
    16 oz. pkg. frozen broccoli, cauliflower and red peppers, thawed
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

In 3 quart microwave safe casserole dish, mix noodles, water and chicken broth. Cover with lid and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring once during cooking. Add vegetables, onion, chicken and seasonings. Cover and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes, stirring once during cooking, until vegetables are hot and crisp tender and noodles are tender.
    Stir in half of cheese and mix well. Sprinkle casserole with remaining cheese. Cook, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.

To freeze casserole, do not thaw vegetables. Cook noodles as directed above and then cool in refrigerator until cold. Add vegetables, onion, chicken, seasonings, and half of cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese, wrap well, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator. Microwave on medium for 3-5 minutes, stirring once. Then microwave on high for 1-3 minutes until noodles and vegetables are tender and casserole is thoroughly heated. 4-6 servings

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alpine Meatballs

1/2 lb. ground beef
    1/2 lb. ground pork
    1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. allspice
    1 cup cooked rice
    10 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    3/4 cup milk
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 cups cooked rice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, combine beef, pork, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, egg, 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, celery leaves, nutmeg, allspice, and 1 cup cooked rice and mix gently. Form into 1" meatballs and place on a large baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until browned.
    Combine 1 cup Swiss cheese with soup, milk, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and 2 cups cooked rice in large bowl. Add cooked meatballs and mix gently. Pour into 3 quart baking dish. Bake 325 degrees 40-45 minutes, until sauce bubbles around the edges.

To freeze, bake meatballs and cool completely in refrigerator. Combine with remaining ingredients and pour into lined baking dish. Wrap, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Stir casserole gently, then bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serves 8

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Santa Fe Chicken

1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    9 oz. pkg. frozen fully cooked diced chicken
    2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    24 oz. jar thick and chunky salsa
    1 cup taco sauce
    8 corn tortillas
    1 cup sour cream
    2 cups shredded Cojack cheese

In medium microwave safe bowl, cook onion and garlic in olive oil on HIGH for 2-3 minutes until tender. Stir in frozen chicken, black beans and salsa. (If freezing, cool onion and garlic mixture before adding frozen chicken.)
    In 2 quart glass baking dish, pour taco sauce. Lay four corn tortillas over sauce. Top with half of chicken mixture. Spoon on half of sour cream in small dollops. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, sour cream and cheese. Cover with foil. At this point, you can wrap the casserole well and freeze up to 3 months.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes until bubbly. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. If frozen, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator, then bake covered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until bubbly; uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese melts. Serves 6

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast