Laundry Soap

Laundry Soap

I have used many laundry soaps over the years, and alot of them are really good, but can be costly over time. I have also seen the recipes on this site for making your own laundry soap. But what I have run into is that the stores in this area don't carry some of the items in the recipe. So that

add, clothes, dawn, don, great, hat, imagine, jus, liquid, scary, sides, ski, skin, sounds, star, started, thought, trays, wash, water, soap, laundry, large, alot, bottle, works, refill, months, money, good, clean, load, concentrated, anyother, $2.50, results, past, smaller, surprised, $5.oo, stain, savings, work, grease, stains, drop, cutting, squirts, washed, recipe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laundry Soap

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laundry Soap

I have used many laundry soaps over the years, and alot of them are really good, but can be costly over time. I have also seen the recipes on this site for making your own laundry soap. But what I have run into is that the stores in this area don't carry some of the items in the recipe. So that means that I would have to order it on line. Which I don't want to do, just to see if it really works or not. I don't want to buy a large box of something that I may not like. So what I have started doing was sampling different things, just to see what really works and if it saved me money or not. I've seen alot of great ideas to whiten the whites or to freshen up the smelly. But I'll be honest, the only thing that I have found that saves me money and does the job well is Dawn Dish Soap. Believe it or not, it really does work very well. A large refill bottle is about $5.oo, and the bottle a little smaller than that one is $2.50. It's more concentrated than anyother soap that I know of, so you use less of it than reg. laundry soap. I use about 2 to 3 squirts around the wash tub per load. A large refill bottle last me 2 months. To me that is alot of savings. And my laundry comes out clean. Dawn Soap is good for cutting the grease, and it also gets out the stains. Just a drop or two on the stain, let set until the next load to be washed. You would be surprised at the results. I've been using Dawn for the past 6 months, and my laundry still comes out clean.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use dawn to get grease out of my husband's and son's jeans and shirts from work.Bobbi -NE

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bcoffey68359 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Dawn to handwash things like my son's painted shirt from school. Never thought to use it in the washing machine, too.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to atta76 For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

This sounds great to me. Do you use anything else, just Dawn???? I know you said 2-3 squirts. Doesn't that suds up to much? I have never used Dawn in the wash. I don't have one of those trays to add liquid to the wash. Do I just add it to the clothes when I put them in or add it after the water has started to fill?

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to runabout57 For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I make my own laundry soap and it works great on my kids clothes:
    1 bar of soap, Grated - I use Ivory
    bar of Bar Fels Naptha Soap, Grated
    1 cup of Washing Soda
    of Borax

Add 3 cups of water plus grated soap to pot and heat on low until dissolved
    In 5 gallon bucket, add 3 gallons of water, stir in Washing Soda and Borax until dissolved. Add soapy water from pot, stir, place lid on and wait 24 hours. Use to 1 cup in load.

I get all my items at Publix!!

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to khkristina For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laundry Soap

[QUOTE=khkristina;98590]I make my own laundry soap and it works great on my kids clothes:
    1 bar of soap, Grated - I use Ivory

Do you think an antibacterial soap like Dial could be used? I always wash with cold water and use a dribble of Lysol, which is expensive. Sounds like I'm a germaphobic but I'm not. Hubby, for unknown reasons, is prone to boils. (sounds yucky, but only one every now and then) Docs don't know why. But Dial is the "only" soap that prevents outbreaks.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to crankymae For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

My mother uses dial, she likes the smell! You can use anything you have around the house, or find on sale. The Fels Naptha Soap is great for stains, that is way I add it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khkristina For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm afraid to try new laundry soap (I get itchy rashes). Thanks for the tip but I think I'll stick to Tide.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suey For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast