Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default menstrual problems

I've been dealing with menstrual problems since I was in high school. I'm 25 now. I've had heavy flows and terrible cramps. My periods are VERY irregular. I've tried everything!! I've been put on 4 different birth control pills to try to help but they don't and some even made it worse. I don't know what else to do. I don't know how much longer I can take the pain. They are so bad sometimes that I can't move. I've had to miss work several times. I've tried all the meds, hot baths, heating pads and so on. I've talked to my Gynecologist and he doesn't seem to be too concerned right now. However I am.

Has anyone had similar problems?? What do you do for the cramps?

THANKS in advance!!

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mbabb29340 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

It sound to me like you need to get a second opinion from another OB/GYN.
    At your age that sounds serious. You may have cysts on your ovaries.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to saunders97 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

sound to me like you need to get a second opinion from another OB/GYN.
    I'll have to agree here saunders97, getting that second opinion could do you a world of good..
    Last edited by JoAnn; 01-04-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would definately go to another OB/GYN. I'm very similiar to you...had irregular menstrual cycles from a VERY early age and when I did get them, they were painful and extrremely heavy.
    For the most part, I didn't do much about it until I tried getting pregnant. Birth control pills did help to regulate but once again, I tried getting pregnant. I also used something called Provera, not the same as DEPO-Provera, to get a period.
    Anyway, you could have PCOS (Polysystic Ovarian Syndrome). It can be difficult to diagnose. The only way I was diagnosed was when I went to an infertility speicalist. Most docs I saw were "suspecting" that I had PCOS but the actual diagnosis came from my infertility doc when he did a laprascopy. It's not life threatening but can cause complications when you are trying to get pregnant. There's no cure but can be managed through various drugs and lifestyle changes. When you want to become pregnant, there are drugs that can help if you're not ovulating (a BIG factor with PCOS is that most women with PCOS DO NOT ovulate). No 2 women are alike either when it comes to symptoms or management. I have a friend who also has PCOS and we are similiar with some symptoms but she has symptoms that I don't and vice versa. You can do some research and get some idea on symptoms or feel free to contact me but DEFINATELY see another OB/GYN.

Michelle

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mmclean11 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had a heavy flow from a young age too. I used to miss a day of high school each month and I was even on the pill to try to regulate the periods. My problem is ovarian cysts that can be huge like an orange but disappear on their own after about a week so the doctors have never had to do surgery or anything.

I would definitely go see another doc just to rule out anything the other might not have thought of.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to atta76 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also had problems, and the doctor that I had told me that it was in my head. I went and found another doctor and just in time too. It's a long story, but I was told that if I wanted to have kids he could help me. And he did, one year after having my second son I had to have everything taken out. So don't wait, go find another doctor. Ask family or co-workers, see who they go to, find out who is highly recommended in your area. It well be well worth it, I'm glad that I did.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the replies!!! I will definitely go see another Dr. I have to do something. It just seems to get worse and worse.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mbabb29340 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started at 8-9 and they have been horrible all my life - the best thing to happen for me was going into menopause at 25 (even though it took 3 years before the Dr admitted yep you are in menopause)

DRUGS .. I swear I couldn't function without them. Since they went anywhere from 1 day to 16 days and the whole time I couldn't stand straight it was a necessity to have something for the pain.

BTW my mom used to say I was being a baby, sissy etc .. I bent a nail in half with hands because a contraction hit at that point. When I had Jake (BTW he is a menopause baby) in late 30's my contractions during back labor & pit were not any more painful than my reg cramps - in fact in some ways it hurt less cause they were regular and quit/slowed down (10 min contractions with 1 min in between)

Ria

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast