Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default need ideas for using vac sealer

My husband bought me a vac sealer for our anniversary. I was so excited but have not used it much. Can anyone give me some TNT ideas on how you use it in your home?

Many thanks,

Denise

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to livenactive For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

the sealers are wonderful, what can't you use them for .
    They are great for putting any food item in the freezer will keep them fresher longer without the freezer burn. Works great for storing any item that you dry or dehydrate. We will use it for camping for things like matches, paper goods (will keep them clean and dry). Even had a friend once use one to pay us some money he owed-his thought we would know if anyone else got into the money, lol.

Basically use it the same as you would a baggie or any other storage type container. Enjoy, play around, it will be fun.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have silver or silverplate? I "hate" to polish! Pad sharp points and edges with paper towels and vacuum seal. Leave the bag extra long and you can reseal in the same bag multi times. Clip open-use-seal again-my kind of polishing! LOL!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crankymae For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh my, what can't you use vacuum seal bags for....

Rice, flours and pastas are sealed in bags to kill/protect from bug infestation. Bread flour is stored with the amount of flour needed for a loaf of bread, plus I may toss in the yeast package too. Same for rice. Works great for those homemade rice mixes.

Pastas are often made in advance, sealed in serving size, and frozen. Rice (especially brown rice) is precooked, sealed and frozen. Same for many things like ground beef, chicken pieces, etc., and only require reheating in the bag for dinnner.

Basically all food that goes into the freezer gets placed in a vacuum seal bag to avoid freezer burn or ice build up. I buy bulk bags of vegetables and other foods and transfer them to serving size portions. Makes it very easy to prepare a meal. And no pulling out a big bag of frozen chicken pieces only to find one piece left (you needed two) and the rest of the bag is ice.

I do casseroles -- like Hamburger Helper where the precooked ground beef comes in very handy -- and leftovers get placed in serving size bags an frozen for a future meal. No leftovers.

I make emergency water pouches using pint-size vacuum seal bags (raise the unit so the pouch is more vertical when just sealing) and will seal items that go into my emergency first-aid and survival kits to keep them fresh and keep them clean and dry.

Items stored in the trunk of the car or in the garage can be vacuum sealed to protect them from the elements until needed.

If you are go to seal and freeze a liquid, like soups or stews, place in a flat plastic container (either directly or in unsealed bag) first and flash freeze. Then you can vacuum seal the frozen product -- make sure there are no sharp edges to puncture the bag -- and they will lay flat in the freezer and can be easily reheated in boiling water or the microwave in the bag.

The FoodSaver bags are rated for the microwave or boiling, whereas regular plastic bags are not.

The list goes on and on........
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a vac sealer too. I love mine, I use it for everything. I really love it for the freezer, it's been a real saver on that one. You can use it to for craft items too. Some I use it to store away some of my crafts. If I know that I won't be using it for awhile. The ideas are endless for this machine. Be creative with it, you would be surprised at the ideas you could come up with.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh my, I WANT ONE OF THOSE! this may go on my birthday wish list. Is the plastic you use for sealing expensive????
    Niddi

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the bags are fairly expensive in comparison to Ziploc bags, but its worth it. Go to the FoodSaver website (FoodSaver) for more information. You can also find everything at your local Wal-Mart, Target, or other large store.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

They are more expensive, but well worth it. You can make your own size bag. I usually get the big box that has 6 rolls in it, 4 large, for the bigger bags, and 2 small for the smaller bags. Mine last a long time. I've had the same box of rolls since July, and I use mine for almost everything. I don't as many ziploc bags as I used too. I buy mine at Wal-Mart.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast