Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Very Frugal Family Vacation

Hi Everybody,

I have been a member of Budget 101 for a while now, but this is my first post. I am so excited to be a member and want to thank all of you for letting me be a part.

Well, here goes my first post. Now that the holidays are pretty much on their way out, I am guessing you guys may be thinking about a vacation.

I just wanted to let you know about a great way to do so.

I am a big fan of skyauction.com. This is not a solicitation, just a great bargain.

My husband Mark and I had the most wonderful trip in September thanks in a big part to skyauction.

We went to Orlando and stayed at one of the beautiful Weston resorts for a week. We had a two bedroom condo with a master suite that included a cozy king size bed, flat screen TV, (as well as a flat screen in the living area) full bath and a jacuzzi tub for two, a full living area, patio with seating, dining area, kitchen with all amenities including a full size washer and dryer, and another full bath for the second bedroom.

The auction included a $100 dollar meal certificate to a restaurant of your choice from the auction, which we chose to use in Dallas on our way back from Florida.

Now for the really amazing part, with tax, skyauction auction charge of $20 and all the total I paid for the whole auction was only $216.

I know, I know. Usually, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. But this is one of those exceptions.

Here's the deal. RCI and other timeshare programs give their extra "inventory" to skyauction to auction off. The bids start at a $1. You always want to read the fine print, as there are usually taxes and surcharges - which in the case of this auction was $195, and I won the auction for a dollar. Add the $20 skyauction charge, and you've got $216.

Now there are a couple of added things you need to know as skyauction ranges from good deals to really good deals.

(Mark and I also stayed at an Embassy Suites in Austin in April last year in a $210 room for less than 80 a night. Another skyauction deal.)

There are a couple of catches, the extra inventory is not always available year round or in the area you want to travel to. And some of the inventory is not as nice as the Weston properties. So it pays to do some homework if you've never been to the resort you are thinking about booking.

But if you are able to be a bit flexible about your travel plans, can follow the auction instructions to book your condo and do your homework for your trip, you've got a great vacation bargain in the making.

There is one more thing I want to mention before I sign off. When we checked into the Weston, the sales guy wanted us to sign up to do a "tour". They tell you they will only hold you hostage for 90 minutes, which turns into more like 210. But they were willing to pay us $100 to do it. So my auction could've only cost me 116.00 which included the $100 certificate to the awesome Italian restaurant we ate at in Dallas.

You know if you choose to do the tour not only are they gonna hold you hostage for two and a half hours, but they are gonna try to talk you into buying a timeshare. So be warned and go in armed and dangerous. I know this because we did the tour the first time we visited Orlando, which was so funny as we ended up at the very same resort the second time around.

We told the guy we needed to talk about it and if we decided we wanted to do it we'd let him know, and we were off to our wonderful week without the tour. I was totally happy with my auction of $216.

So, hope this is some good news for somebody out there. Happy bidding.

Signing off of my first post,
    Lisa

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lisam1364 For This Useful Post: