Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need Recipe for Chili Cook-Off! :)

Hey guys! My Sunday School class is having a Chili Cook-Off at the end of the month. Now, I consider myself a pretty good cook, but I don't have an "Award Winning" chili recipe. Does anyone have one they would consider sharing? I'd like to try a couple of recipes at home & try to come up with something for the contest. Thanks for the help guys!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wish I had one of my own, but when I make chili, which is often, I use the 3-Alarm chili seasoning mix. The seasonings are exactly perfect, and you can choose to, add, or not, the hot cayenne. However, because these strong intense seasonings tend to make the finished product on the bitter side, I add an extra can of tomato sauce, this seems to mellow them out quite a bit. And... I am from NM, we add BEANS to our chili...LOL. A true Texan would be cringing right now...LOL.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mardhines For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mardhines View Post
    Wish I had one of my own, but when I make chili, which is often, I use the 3-Alarm chili seasoning mix. The seasonings are exactly perfect, and you can choose to, add, or not, the hot cayenne. However, because these strong intense seasonings tend to make the finished product on the bitter side, I add an extra can of tomato sauce, this seems to mellow them out quite a bit. And... I am from NM, we add BEANS to our chili...LOL. A true Texan would be cringing right now...LOL.
    Oh, I love beans in my chili!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Award Winning Chili
    1 lb ground beef
    1 lb red kidney beans
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    2 tbs oil
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 16-oz can tomatoes, chopped (or use fresh)
    1 tbs chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp hot sauce
    water as needed
    salt to taste
    Soak beans overnight and discard water. In large skillet saute onions, bell pepper, and garlic in oil until onions are translucent. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add tomato items and seasonings and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 7 to 10 minutes. Pour ground beef mixture into large pot with beans, stir to mix well, then start adding water -- one cup at a time -- while stirring until the desired consistency is achieved. Simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt.
    Enjoy!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mos For This Useful Post: