Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wanted: Info re: coupon clipping

I have been seeing these ads on the internet about clipping coupons and
    saving money, etc. And I do want to save money and shop a little more
    thrifty, but I don't want to pay for a program (remember save money??)

I am wondering if there are any `pro' coupon clippers that really clip
    and save. I have rarely used coupons and am unaware of doubling them
    and store policies. So if you are a regular clipper I would love to
    hear from you and your strategies for success.

Thanks
    Stephanie
    ~ They Call it DODGE for a Reason! ~

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stephanie

I'm not a pro by any means, but they do save me money on my grocery bill.
    This is what I do to make the most of my coupon savings. I take my grocery
    ads for the week and sit down at my computer. I then search for coupons for
    the things I purchase that are on sale. This makes stuff I use a really
    good buy. For example: this week Krogers had their Pillsbury products on
    sale for $1 - I have coupons for .50 off of 2 (which they'll double to $1).
    They're also giving a $5 coupon off your next order when you purchase 10.
    That ends up being free. Here's how: I purchase 10 for $10 and use coupons
    that are doubled equaling $5 and a $5 coupon for my next shopping trip.
    That is $10-$5-$5 = 0 Most of my coupons are printed off the internet as we
    don't get a Sunday paper.

Hugs!
    Karen

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I clip some coupons. I get the Sunday paper specifically for the coupons.

That said, I have found that most coupons are for "convenience foods" and a lot of stuff that we don't eat. Even if the store has it at a great price, if we don't eat it, I don't buy it.

I do try to buy what is on sale and then use a coupon on those purchases. That helps.

I do compare the cost per unit and always use a list, carry a pen and a calculator with me. It helps me not get distracted.

I work at making up the menu a week or two at a time. I write down 14 dinners, weekend lunches (we pack lunches for us to take to work) and I look in the cabinets to figure out what I already have before heading out to the store.

Eat something before you go. If you are hungry, everything looks good. You will spend more.

Ignore the end caps. They are just there to tempt you! Did you have a case of Oreo cookies on your list? Did you forget you needed 40 kinds of candy, just 'cause it's Easter? Halloween? Christmas?

Herlean

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I clip some coupons. I get the Sunday paper specifically for the coupons.

That said, I have found that most coupons are for "convenience foods" and a lot of stuff that we don't eat. Even if the store has it at a great price, if we don't eat it, I don't buy it.

I do try to buy what is on sale and then use a coupon on those purchases. That helps.

I do compare the cost per unit and always use a list, carry a pen and a calculator with me. It helps me not get distracted.

I work at making up the menu a week or two at a time. I write down 14 dinners, weekend lunches (we pack lunches for us to take to work) and I look in the cabinets to figure out what I already have before heading out to the store.

Eat something before you go. If you are hungry, everything looks good. You will spend more.

Ignore the end caps. They are just there to tempt you! Did you have a case of Oreo cookies on your list? Did you forget you needed 40 kinds of candy, just 'cause it's Easter? Halloween? Christmas?

Herlean

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go to couponmom.com and sign up (its free) and then click on best grocery
    deals in your state.
    She does all the work for you! You just click on your state and she has a
    list of all the items on sale at that particular grocery store and the
    coupons that go with it. She even tells you what day the coupons were in
    the newspaper and in what section.
    I also do a lot of shopping at walgreens and CVS where many items are free
    after rebate or extra care bucks. This is mostly for toiletry type items.
    I'd be happy to give you more information if you are interested.

Jennifer Thomson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDodgeMan For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Re: Wanted: Info re: coupon clipping

I am surprised that this wasn't mentioned. Maybe I'm the only one that does it. I go to the store once during the week to buy what's on sale then on Saturday nights at the end of the "big sale" I go again. Why?? Because that is when most of the stuff is GONE! When the stuff is gone you get the raincheck. Ex. At my local store they have the name brand sauce on sale for a dollar. Well the coupons are usually in the paper once a month. They usually put the promotion every other month. So you go on Tuesday and buy the ones that you have the coupon for and then on saturday you go to customer service and get a raincheck (for the top # that you can get) so that when you get the same price when you get the coupon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to r0nsterrrz For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wanted: Info re: coupon clipping

I am relatively new coupon user. I use a great site called thecouponclippers.com. I buy a lot of store brand products and could never really find coupons for the name brand items that I do buy. With The Coupon Clippers, I can "shop" through hundreds off coupons and find the ones for the brands that I buy. I buy coupons about once a month for about $5 - $10 and I save about $8 to $15 a week on my groceries.

Here are my tips -
    1) ONLY buy coupons for the stuff you ALREADY buy. Only rarely will coupons help you save more money than buying the store brand so if you like the generic then skip the coupon.
    2) Use your coupons when the item is already on sale at the store. Buy as much as you can at that time. For ex., one of my few unhealthy snack concessions to my kids is gummy fruit snacks. I had 4 coupons for $1 off 2. Ingles had them regular for 2.68, on sale for 3/$5. So I stocked up and bought 8 boxes (a month's worth) at 1.17 each. That is cheaper than the store brand.
    3) Don't be afraid to buy multiples of the same coupon for things you buy every week. I use 2 dozen eggs a week so I bought about 20 coupons for eggs.
    4) I make a shopping list and attach my coupons to the list before I leave the house that way I don't forget at the checkout.
    5) Pay attn when the clerk is ringing up your items - sometimes coupons don't scan.

Hope this helps.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do the same thing! I do it alot more at CVS then i do the grocery stores because the CVS rain checks don't expire and you can sit back and wait for the good coupons to go with it

quote=r0nsterrrz;11553]I am surprised that this wasn't mentioned. Maybe I'm the only one that does it. I go to the store once during the week to buy what's on sale then on Saturday nights at the end of the "big sale" I go again. Why?? Because that is when most of the stuff is GONE! When the stuff is gone you get the raincheck. Ex. At my local store they have the name brand sauce on sale for a dollar. Well the coupons are usually in the paper once a month. They usually put the promotion every other month. So you go on Tuesday and buy the ones that you have the coupon for and then on saturday you go to customer service and get a raincheck (for the top # that you can get) so that when you get the same price when you get the coupon. [/quote]