Mexican Casserole

Serves 5 oil for frying 3/4 pound cubed skinless, boneless chicken breast meat 1/2 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained 1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, drained 1/4 cup salsa water as needed 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese

baking, beans, black, breast, casserole, cheese, chicken, cup, dish, inside, large, meat, mexican, minutes, mix, package, pink, skillet, sweet, taco, ounce, degrees, crushed, salsa, drained, corn, oven, tortilla, heat, medium, chips, water, seasoning, bake, remaining, preheated, melted, bubbly, prevent, drying, cover, simmer, mixture, 9x13, inch, transfer, preheat, high, frying, rinsed

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mexican Casserole

Serves 5

oil for frying
    3/4 pound cubed skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
    1/2 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
    1/4 cup salsa
    water as needed
    1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
    1 1/2 cups crushed plain tortilla chips

In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute chicken in oil until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Add taco seasoning, beans, corn, salsa and a little water to prevent drying out. Cover skillet and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Transfer chicken mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with 1/2 cup of the cheese and crushed tortilla chips.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK guys, I found this recipe online this afternoon & added it. As you know, I LOVE to find recipes & share them with you guys! Anyway, this one looked so enticing that I just had to try it tonight. I didn't have any mexican cheese blend, but I had some mild cheddar & some pepper jack, so I mixed those 2 together. I also sauteed an onion to go into the casserole. Anyway, my hubbie wasn't sure he'd like it, so I told him it was sort of like a nacho dish & I served it with tortilla chips to "scoop" it up with. Anyway, it was a great hit! He loved it! For me though, it could have had a little more flavor. Next time I'm gonna throw some more things in like cumin and sazon goya. But even without those add-ins it was delicious! Very easy too! You could make it even easier by baking some chicken & cubing it to use - that way you don't have to stand over the chicken while it cooks. You could just dump it all in the pan, simmer for 10 minutes, then put in casserole dish & bake. Hope you guys enjoy!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and if any of you happen to try this recipe (or any of the others that I post) and you play around with it - adding other ingredients, etc. - please let me know. I always love to hear how people make recipes "their own."

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for sharing rtebalt, it sounds really good, will have to put it in my menu plan, which I'm now trying to do, problem is I find specials that I have to work around. Today while at Wal Mart they had bell peppers for 25 cent each and cabbage for 25 cent a lb. so now I have to juggle next weeks menu so I can use the specials I found. I have all the ingredients on hand for the mexican dish, so that's good.
    Niddi

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a recipe that is heaven made for substutes. You could use hamburger, left over roast, pork (including sausage) or even ham. We use homemade enchilada sauce in pklace of taco spice. You could even use Chirizo for the meat. We would also add garlic cloves. Thanks for a great starting recipe.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Margaret K For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret K View Post
    This is a recipe that is heaven made for substutes. You could use hamburger, left over roast, pork (including sausage) or even ham. We use homemade enchilada sauce in pklace of taco spice. You could even use Chirizo for the meat. We would also add garlic cloves. Thanks for a great starting recipe.
    That's right girl! Make it your own! I love recipes that can be altered to go with what's in the pantry.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I mixed sour cream with the left over taco seasoning (taco cream? lol) and added it to the top just before I served it. It was yummy.