Default Let me try one...

Okay, I want to try a menu post, too! Here goes:

Monday: Hamburger Barley Vegetable Soup w/ homemade rolls
    Tuesday: Kielbasa w/ Baked Beans and Cornbread
    Wednesday: Chicken Packets, Cream of Broccoli Soup
    Thursday: Pork Cantonese over Rice
    Friday: Chicken Casserole & Peas
    Saturday: Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes w/ Gravy, Carrots, Bread

Sunday: Italian Steak & Cheese Sandwiches (made from leftover Roast Beef)

My children are grown up (sort of - ) and they either don't eat lunch or they pack leftovers. My husband also takes leftovers in his lunch. Breakfast is pretty much the same - they fend for themselves! My boys just eat cereal and my DH grabs a cup of tea to go. Me? I usually eat oatmeal or cream of wheat.
    I am SO looking forward to "empty-nest syndrome"!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FruGal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like a pretty good week at your house!!
    I think I need to get better at planning also, but sometimes we just don't know what we're in the mood for tomorrow.
    I have been writing down about 10 meals I can make with the stuff I have on hand and letting DH choose what he wants that night. Breakfast is on your own (I don't want anything but lots of coffee) and lunch is pretty standard, leftovers or soup or sandwich or salad. Being home all the time makes it easier to be flexable about suppers.
    I just need to start incorporating some cheaper meals into suppers. I do breakfast for supper about once every 2 weeks and have a soup and sandwich about once every 2 weeks.(don't want to overdo that since we frequently have that for lunch) DH will eat an occasional casserole or one dish meal but isn't happy about it. But I plan to cut the grocery budget starting next month so we'll need to make some adjustments. (Hubby said that's easy, just live out of your freezer and pantry til it runs out.) Little does he know how hard it is to find those deals to keep it stocked.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think your menus look great! now I have a taste for kielbasa! LOL!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is goood!! The keilbasa would be good with black beans and rice too...yummy!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

planning your meals ahead of time allows you to budget better. when you plan, you know what you have and what you need. stocking up on sale items, as you know, is the best way to fill the freezer and the pantry. then, you can plan -- don't ask -- your meals for the week or two weeks or whatever. when I was married, he wanted the works every night -- no sandwiches, no casseroles, etc. so I did a comparison. I prepared meals like he wanted one week and then meals that I thought were very good, but far more economical. then I showed him the difference in cost! he never said another word. I would prepare at least two meals as he preferred each week and be as creative as I could for the rest! I've always planned menus -- even before I was married. try it! it'll become a habit and you'll challenge yourself to get creative in your plans to please appetites

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, I admit it. I'm a Yankee gal and I'm really not familiar with black beans. I have had canned black bean soup and loved it, & I've had salsa with black beans, too. So I would really appreciate, Fax, if you would give me a recipe for Black Beans & Rice! I love adding even more variety to my menus!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FruGal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love planning my menus. I am flexible, for example if my daughter says. " I really wish you would make Broccoli-Cheese-Rice casserole". I will look at the menu and change a meal. I love not having to think about what we are having every single day-I just look at my plan and get everything out of the freezer, and we are DONE!!
    Shelly

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shellybean40 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Honestly, I'm pretty flexible w/ my menus, too. I have just found that if I have a menu planned ahead of time I know exactly what to pull out of the freezer the night before & I am well organized for the day. No hectic throw-together meals because I didn't plan the meal ahead of time. But if someone's schedule changes and they won't be home for dinner and I was planning their favorite meal, then I change the menu! I have just found that I have so much more time when dinner is planned well ahead of time. In my humble opinion, you should always be prepared to make an occasional "change" in the menu! But having a basic plan really helps me stay organized!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FruGal For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast