Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Piggy Prepping for next Christmas

Several years ago I made a decision that changed how I handle the holidays. I started shopping for Christmas during the year, instead of waiting for the 5 week rush right before hand. Each year, I've started shopping earlier until this year, when I am shopping the weekend after.

I also started keeping an excel file last year that detailed what gifts I have and who they were for. This way, I'll have a way to check what I gave each person so that I don't give a duplicate item. (My memory has gone down the tubes)

My gifts went over well. I gave (almost) each family a large Yankee Candle, shade and plate. I gave the younger families a Scentstories Player and disk. I gave them everyday designs. Next year I plan on giving them holiday shades and plates.

Which takes me to Christmas shopping for next year now. I set aside all of the accessories that I'll need for next year (There are major benefits to working at a store, such as holding items and getting first dibs) I received a 50.00 dollar gift card from the company for working an extra shift on Black Friday. I am trying to stretch it as far as it will go by waiting for the final markdowns and using coupons. I have 150.00 worth of sale product on hold. I will get 60.00 off from coupons. (10.00 off 25.00 dollar purchase) Then the 50.00 dollar gift card, which makes my out of pocket expense 40.00. (This is at the current sale price. I'm not sure what the final markdowns will be or if it will effect what I'm getting. Also, about 20.00 dollars worth of items is for me, which will have an effect on the final per gift cost) Currently, with 8 families, my cost per family is 5.00 each. Well worth the price of storing the gifts all year.

I've done this type of shopping before. The last company that I worked for had a 90% off sale during the summer. I stocked up for 50.00 dollars and didn't have to worry about gifts that year.

Is anyone else as weird about this as I am? I'll hit up the summer sales, but will focus more on men's gifts. I really try not to shop at all during the traditional Christmas season, with the exception of our son's Santa gift. My fiance thinks that I'm crazy, but I think that the people who are out on Christmas Eve are crazier. Not thinking about gifts is one way that I can reduce my stress in 11 months. I just didn't know if anyone else started this early for Christmas.

Shannon

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are doing some smart shopping girl!!! Makes a lot of sence to shop where you work when you're getting such a great discount. Sounds like you're very organized.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

For years I did all my Christmas shopping throughout the year. Much less stress, especially on the pocketbook and I was able to find gifts that fit the person and often the gifts changed as I progressed through the year and found different items. Times have changed however and families have moved far away and don't bother getting together for the holidays so exchanging gifts has been a thing of the past.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like shopping all year for the holiday presents. I will make up a list over the next week of birthdays and who will get a Christmas present from us. Then carry this with me when I go shopping and try to pull out the name of the person with the next birthday coming up and find something for them and try to find things for them for Christmas as well. I have a clear plastic tote that I put the items in for later in the year and write down what I have already bought. I don't really worry about the price of the items-I am not one who thinks that the price of the item has to be the same for everyone (i know some people like that). If I see a shirt for a that would be perfect for a neice and their birthday is past then I will get for them for the holiday's or save it for their next birthday. I really hate the holiday crowd shopping-how can anyone think during all that rushing. You end up saving a really large amount of money if you have room to store the items. Unless it is a food item it will last, sizes of clothes might change depending on the age of the person you are buying for.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do the same thing. I buy all year long, when I can catch sales and use coupons also. My only problem is remembering where I stashed the goodies when time to wrap them for Christmas LOL.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think it's very smart what you are doing. I try to get all my shopping done before Thanksgiving. This year I just had a few odds and ends to get last minute like candy for stockings.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used to shop right after Christmas. I noticed this year not much was out there (after Christmas)

Usually with my kids issues Christmas/Yule was horrible so we always had second Christmas/Yule which was much lower key for everyone and I could actually enjoy it. The weekend after New's Years, we opened stockings and some gifts.

This year for some reason everyone was in a Grinchy mood, I am wondering about bringing back 2nd Yule just to try to get some cheer in the season. I think the SAD effect was earlier than norm because the weather was so lousy this summer, it was dreary and wet.

I also end up buying and giving stuff during the year so presents were never the big focus.
    Ria

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do the same thing too. It saves me the stress later. This year I intend to wrap as I go...I just have to remember to put the labels on LOL...forgot one year

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast