New Crockpot

New Crockpot

I got a crock pot from my MIL for Christmas:043:. I'm very excited about it, as I didn't have one before. However, it is one of the tiny ones. It says it can hold a 2lb roast, but the only way I think it could is if it is chopped up. The recipes that I find are generally for the medium and

adding, chicken, cook, cooking, crockpot, crockpot recipes, day, dry, eve, hard, hat, internet, low, meat, moist, purpose, recipes, roast, roaster, water, crock, thing, time, person, meal, unsure, advice, faster, guesstimate, convert, rack, hand, folk, shannon, roasting, kind, generally, tiny, hold, christmas043, excited, pots, large, medium, make, meals, chopped, find

Thread: New Crockpot

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question New Crockpot

I got a crock pot from my MIL for Christmas. I'm very excited about it, as I didn't have one before. However, it is one of the tiny ones. It says it can hold a 2lb roast, but the only way I think it could is if it is chopped up.

The recipes that I find are generally for the medium and large crock pots. I want to make meals with this thing, but I'm unsure of how to cut everything down. I looking for advice on how to cut down recipes and any 2 person crock pot meal recipes that any of you kind folk might have on hand.

Shannon

**The other thing that I got from her is a roasting pan and rack. Could I convert some of the crock pot recipes for that? I know that the cooking time would be faster. How would I guesstimate the cooking time?

Thanks Everyone.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You don't really need recipes for a crockpot, but there are a ton of them on the Internet with a little searching. You can toss a roast or chicken in the thing without even adding water and cook on low all day and you will have perfectly cooked moist meat.

An oven roaster is a dry cooking and it would be hard to convert crockpot recipes for that. Each has its purpose.

How many quarts is your crockpot capacity.....2? 4?
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
    How many quarts is your crockpot capacity.....2? 4?

Thanks for the info.

Shannon

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a nice size for 2 people. You may want to provide a permanent spot on your counter because you may want to use it almost every day. Great for soup, stews, beans.

I also have an even smaller one - 4 cup - called a "crockette" that has been around for years. I cook my Steel Cut Oats in it, starting when I go to bed and its ready to eat in the morning. No sweating over a stove.

Check out the following crockpot link where this woman has cooked in her crockpot(s) every day for a full year. Lots of recipe ideas.
    A Year of CrockPotting

Here's a recipe to add to your collection:

Chicken with Mushrooms and Tomato (Crock Pot)

2 pounds chicken thighs -- bone-in
    8 ounces fresh mushroom -- sliced
    1 large onion -- chopped
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    16 ounces spaghetti sauce -- (1/2 of standard jar)
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning -- minced (*see note)
    1/2 cup wine
    olive oil
    salt and pepper -- to taste

Pour the spaghetti sauce into a bowl. Add the herbs and mix.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a little olive oil in skillet and brown the chicken well; transfer to crock pot.

Pour all but about 2 tablespoons of accumulated fats from skillet, return to medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft and just starting to turn color.

Put the onions, garlic and mushrooms over the chicken.

Return skillet to burner. Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up all the fond (browned bits) from the skillet. Pour the wine into the spaghetti sauce and mix. Pour over the chicken.

Set to LOW and cook for 4 to 5 hours.

Serve with hot pasta.

Note1:Use whatever herbs you like - oregano, basil, thyme are all good, or use an Italian seasoning mix. I also sometimes add 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper for some heat.

Note2: Obviously, you can add different vegetables and herbs or spices, to suit your tastes and needs. Sweet bell peppers are a natural, I will also add fresh tomatoes or whatever needs using.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

CP REMINDER:
    the new crockpots seem to be a LOT hotter than the old ones. Don't put it on high and leave it till you have really gotten used to it

SMALL CP:
    take any CP recipe and cut in half. In fact you could put part of the uncooked recipe in zip and freeze for another day.

POST ON FC for another crockpot, chances are someone got a new one this holiday season. Use the little on for sides or sauces

Ria

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post: