Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Any tips for helping a family of 7 on a limited budget?

My husband is a retired Minister and we live on a Monthly Fixed income. We have two teen boys at home and a married daughter with her husband and baby, that we help out during the month as my son in law is just getting to work part time now so there are times I have to buy Diapers and Formula to supplement their income. And their are times we have to help them buy food as well so I basically state that we are a family of 7 even though they dont live under our roof.

My husband and I have got to do something. We owned our home free and clear and our daughters home as well. Mortgage free! But she had a very difficult pregnancy this past year and my granddaughter was born preterm at 28wks. We were having to make multiple trips to the NICU and on our income it was hard. So we ended up taking a Loan out on both of our houses and now we have a Monthly Mortgate Payment to have to meet. So we REALLY need to cut costs ths year. I have been doing a lot of research online and I LOVE what I am seeing from all these so called Coupon Divas/Coupon Queens..I want to learn to make Coupons work and to stick within a budget. That is our goal for this year. If ANYONE has any tips that can help us to make this work we would sincerly appreicate it. I hope that I am not posting in the wrong forum for this type of post either.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gjet68 For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

i don't know where you live..... i'm in michigan.. and i'm not a diva but i do use coupons.... my husband says i rob the store legally because i usually bring home free things.. i shop at different stores and only buy if the items is 50% or more off and then i top it with a coupon.. i have lots of medicines i take so i look for pharmacy coupons .. um most of the places give like a $10 to $30 gift card for new or transferred scripts so i rotate.. they always seem to have fine print so you have to be careful........ i buy alot of whatever is on sale... um last week i got shampoo for free so i bought alot of it..lol we won't need any for a very very long time.. i usually get veggies for free.. hummnot sure what stores are around you...but if i can help any... i joined .com this past summer it taught me alot if i can help....or if you want to learn more about SA.. just let me know.. i'm new here so trying to figure all this out but will return message as soon as possible
    Roxann

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to secretlover_at For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips secretlover_at.
    Are the veggies you get fresh, canned or frozen ones?
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you will PM me your address I would be glad to mail you the diapers/baby coupons I have to help you out. My kids are too old for that stuff now and I keep them hoping I can help someone.
    Welcome to budget101. I just started a little while back and I have learned a lot. I have always used coupons, but there are some other great features here as well such as the MYO(make your own) food products. Everyone posts a lot of great recipes as well.

Good luck to you and your family.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saunders97 For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn View Post
    Thanks for the tips secretlover_at.
    Are the veggies you get fresh, canned or frozen ones?
    I buy the Green Giant Steamers they are frozen.. our store has them on sale alot for $1.00 the coupon on the internet and in the press is for a $1.00... so free.. and for some reason free tastes ummmmm sweeter.... i do alot of looking on the net for coupons... i write to companies and tell em how much i LOVE what they make.... they send me coupons.. gotta love it

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to secretlover_at For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you gone to local food banks? They often have diapers and baby products too and sometimes clothes. When they knew that I was in need, they always gave to me. Often more than they had allotted per person. Also, I would think about angelfood ministries, and seriously set up an envelope system and start using a budget.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcove2000 For This Useful Post: