Results 1 to 1 of 1
12-21-2008, 08:10 AM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- outside Philadelphia, PA
- Blog Entries
Three Milk Cake (Postre de Tres Leches)
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
6 eggs, divided
2 cups sugar (1 for cake, 1 for meringue)
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can Goya Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz.)
1 can Goya Evaporated Milk (Nela) (12 oz.)
3 cups heavy cream
3 egg whites
2 tbsp. lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease and flour 13"x9" baking pan.
3. Combine the flour and the baking powder and set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer beat the 6 egg whites until frothy. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peak forms, about 5 minutes. Beat in the 6 egg yolks, one at a time. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-inch pan. Bake at 375°F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven. Cool 10 minutes and poke holes into cake using a 2-pronged meat fork.
5. Meanwhile, combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream. Place 1/2 of this mixture in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir in the remaining mixture. Pour slowly over poked cake until absorbed. Chill at least 1 hour.
6. To make meringue*, beat the remaining 3 egg whites on top of a double boiler, until frothy. Gradually add the remaining cup of sugar. Continue beating until stiff-peaks form and the meringue is shiny, about 5 minutes. Beat in the lime juice. Spread over top of cake and refrigerate until ready to serve. Store any leftover cake in the refrigerator.
* Note: You can substitute a 1/2 pint of whipped heavy cream for the meringue.