family lives off 44thousand a year......yah, ok- Chatter

DH and I came accross this last night on MSN news. acording to the article a family of 5(?) lives off 44thousand a year debt free. They say they payed for there house in just years and have lived fregually scence. Here is whear they become a scam to me. They add there web site to the article. I

expanded, free, frugal, great, information, members, mos, reason, responses, run, ruth, site, thank you, thankyou, things, truth, update, visitors, web, years, family, newsletters, found, article, year, 44thousand, lives, fregal, sites, million, difrent, looked, buying, begin, chargeing, summerys, payed, debt, house, lived, acording, accross, news, night, fregually, scence, entire, sell, book, naughty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default family lives off 44thousand a year......yah, ok

DH and I came accross this last night on MSN news. acording to the article a family of 5(?) lives off 44thousand a year debt free. They say they payed for there house in just years and have lived fregually scence. Here is whear they become a scam to me. They add there web site to the article. I thought I would visit and see if I can learn anything new. Almost the ENTIRE site is set up to sell there book or charge you to be a subscriber. Sorry, If im being fregal I am not buying all your information that was found on a million difrent free web sites to begin with. I looked through the summerys of there old newsletters ( they are even chargeing you to see there OLD newsletters !) And most of them are about things we already know. The information found free mostly on the web. All I can think is thank you! To those who run and update this site. You are the ones who really want to help others be frugal.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh

I've also seen this in the past about this family..SCAM for the ones that want to be frugal. Just about every where you look today--you can can find great ideas to share with friends. Liss's site here has alot of the same ideas people are selling. But come on aren't we all getting more out of this if you take the time and apply. The Frugal will not pay for something that is out here for the search.. Most look at this and think great... Quick fix NOT... Open your eyes people.... "All I can think is thank you! To those who run and update this site. You are the ones who really want to help others be frugal" --- redring--- Thanks for posting this info..Your posting might save some out and about some bucks...Liss, Thanks for being here.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Learning to Live Free!
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree about thanking the creators of this site, moderators, etc. While I know there are several sites to go to, it is hard to keep track of them all. By surfing around this site, I have already found some very useful ideas that should help me be able to save money this year!

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ShellVera777 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, SCAM is writin all over that one. I also have to say Thank You Liss for this site, you truely are an angel. You really do know the true meaning of helping others. Thank you so much for the site.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am right there with you all!! I had thought for years that I needed to watch my spending and to become more frugal. I had gone through numerious sites and there were a couple that seemed OK - when I came across Budget101 a few years back - I didnt think too much of is....then the more I looked and surfed .....I realized that this was the only site that offered it all!! I finally signed up this year (should have done this sooner!!) and I have learned so many ways to save and help keep me in-line with my budgeting!! Not only that - but I have met some of the best and nicest friends on here!! Liss can teach alot of those so-called frugal sites a thing or two!!

Kudo's to Liss!!!

Thanks for everything!!!!
    Last edited by faxonfive; 12-29-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

this reminds me of an article i read way back in People magazine (not a scam) about families that live off half their income in which they donate the other half to charity. i think they get an award or recognition of some sort, i cant remember exactly - but i was wondering how a woman on her own can possibly live off $10,000 for a year. or a family with $30,000... But honestly, I really think it can be done somehow. Even $44,000 but not without government help (or scamming people online too) - at my work (i work at a nonprofit organization for low income people) the families total income is always about $5000 for the year!! and somehow they make it!!! not that i would recommend that but it's done. it just makes me think when i see all these families income levels and i wonder how they are not homeless and how they end up getting food/necessities but I guess they just cut everything out that isn't truly needed at all. *sigh* but it does help me appreciate what I do have ... which isn't much! lol

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to starsinnight For This Useful Post:

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart

And most of them are about things we already know. The information found free mostly on the web. All I can think is thank you! To those who run and update this site. You are the ones who really want to help others be frugal.
    You're quite welcome, to tell you the truth, the responses I get from the members and site visitors is the reason I have kept the site and expanded it so much over the years. You all keep me going!

~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Liss For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

it is awsome! Thanks again!

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We live on 18000 a year for a family of three. It isnt easy, I can tell you that. I am in the process of trying to figure where to cut things again because I have a medical bill that needs paying and groceries keep going up. Everything is streamlined, it usually takes me awhile but I can usually search enough to streamline something more. Most people would think ok they do this by using assistance, not true the only assistance we have is my daughters insurance (she has famis) that is it no foodstamps or heating assistance. The winter months are the toughest because our heat goes up our bill this month for electricity, gas, and water was almost 500.00. We have what we need if we buy things we do that when I receive my school check for what is left out of my loans. Yeah I know I have to pay that back, hopefully when that time comes I will be set in a job with my degree(s). If not we will cut something else out. We have everything we need and live a comfortable life. My boyfriend is on disability, my daughter gets a check from his disability and my job is taking care of them and the house and the school work. We think we live pretty well, there was a time before I had our daughter that we had nothing basically homeless and the only money coming in was from a business he was trying to start that was not pulling a profit at all. We learned how to live the hard way so to us if we have to cut back a few channels on the cable it doesn't matter because there was a time we had nothing. His mom once told us if she ever had to live on a covered wagon she wanted us to be with her because we figured out how to do everything with nothing. I laughed at it then but realize now how our hardships then have made us appreciate what little we have now as well as how things can be done if need be.
    Mdowdy

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Learning to Live Free!
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdowdy View Post
    We live on 18000 a year for a family of three. ...I laughed at it then but realize now how our hardships then have made us appreciate what little we have now as well as how things can be done if need be.
    I can't imagine living on that. I can't even fathom on the lightest of nothing how you three survive. I am a family of three also: me, a teenage girl, and an infant (toddler?) girl. We do not live extravagantly at all and yet I see you saying you live on $18,000 and I want to cry for you because I can't even imagine how little extra you must have. Is that super materialistic? I would sure love for you to start a thread on how you do it.

~Shell

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShellVera777 For This Useful Post:

Learning to Live Free!
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by starsinnight View Post
    this reminds me of an article i read way back in People magazine (not a scam) about families that live off half their income in which they donate the other half to charity. ... at my work (i work at a nonprofit organization for low income people) the families total income is always about $5000 for the year!! and somehow they make it!!! ...*sigh* but it does help me appreciate what I do have ... which isn't much! lol
    I am with you that it makes me appreciate what I have. I mean, if I paid off my debt (when I pay off my debt), I will be in a great place. I have a great career with potential if I just keep up the good work. If I don't get this position, I have to believe the references will help me somewhere else. (I am a contractor right now.) I can't imagine living off so little. I can't imagine how they pay for anything. My goodness, for a family of three I am paying $7200 a year in insurance costs. Those families making $10,000, $20,000; I hope they are on a state insurance program. And that is just what I pay to have it. That doesn't include the other money I have to pay just to use it! Co-pays, office charges, etc. It adds up. I mean I make a good living and I am on what I consider to be a bare minimum budget. Maybe need to talk to some of these people and find out what I am considering a necessity that they don't - shoot, my mortgage alone is $14,000 a year and I don't have a luxurious house at all! I really can't imagine how these people live. Maybe they are in areas that have a cheaper cost of living?

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShellVera777 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShellVera777 View Post
    I can't imagine living on that. I can't even fathom on the lightest of nothing how you three survive. I am a family of three also: me, a teenage girl, and an infant (toddler?) girl. We do not live extravagantly at all and yet I see you saying you live on $18,000 and I want to cry for you because I can't even imagine how little extra you must have. Is that super materialistic? I would sure love for you to start a thread on how you do it.

~Shell
    Sure Shell I will be glad to let you know how I do it, I will get that thread started in the finance section in the next couple of days. I will try to get it done tonight but have a couple of calendars to finish for my little girls playgroup tomorrow so that will determine if I get it done tonight or tomorrow.

What do you consider extra? Are you talking extra material things or extra money LOL A lot of things people THINK they need they realize they don't need at all if it comes down to it. I am always looking for more ideas on how to bring the figure we live on down even more which is what originally brought me to this site.

I think part of what helps us is we live in a city where the cost of living is not that high, so what we can get for a certain amount may not be an option for everyone.
    Mdowdy

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know a dozen corners I could cut if I could be home. the problem here is how when DH and I both work 10 hr days. I do good to get laundry and dishes don. The weekends are a disaster of doing errands. this week I forgot to put a stamp on our house payment and got it back in the mail. We work factory and now we are worried for our jobs. things just keep getting harder. I am happy for any tips tricks and saveings I can find.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Learning to Live Free!
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdowdy View Post
    Sure Shell I will be glad to let you know how I do it, I will get that thread started in the finance section in the next couple of days. ...

What do you consider extra? Are you talking extra material things or extra money LOL ...

I think part of what helps us is we live in a city where the cost of living is not that high, so what we can get for a certain amount may not be an option for everyone.
    Thank you! It may be that we can help each other out. Even though I can't imagine living on such a small salary, I do know how to save money, as I don't like to waste it. Ending up in so much debt and realizing that I may not have anything for my kids when they are older really hit home when my grandma died in 2006. For example, I live by freecycle. I think it is great to see what people are giving away. Sometimes you can really get some great things, depending upon where you live.

I guess for me there are certain things I don't consider extra that others would. Like a cell phone. It is not an option NOT to have one. My daughter is in daycare and I spend most of my day in meetings, so having a cell phone makes me feel comfortable. BUT, do I need the ability to see email from that phone, to use the internet, to text message or have I just become accustomed to it? I don't consider the internet an extra since I attend school online and use it for school, work, my daughter's homework, etc. I could consider cable extra, but it is a package deal with the internet and house phone ($60 for it by itself but $99 for all three for two years).

Will you send me a PM with the name of the thread or a link to it so I can be sure to come be involved! Thank you so much!

~Shell

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShellVera777 For This Useful Post:

Learning to Live Free!
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by redring View Post
    I know a dozen corners I could cut if I could be home. the problem here is how when DH and I both work 10 hr days. I do good to get laundry and dishes don. The weekends are a disaster of doing errands. this week I forgot to put a stamp on our house payment and got it back in the mail. We work factory and now we are worried for our jobs. things just keep getting harder. I am happy for any tips tricks and saveings I can find.
    I am happy to not be home and to work full time, but I hear you about it being easier to save money and cut corners when you don't work outside the home. I am learning discipline though and how to say no to the extras, like lunch, clothes, etc. I am learning how to invest in gift cards, freecycle, and other ways of getting things free, cheap, or for less than full price and only when NEEDED.

~Shell

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ShellVera777 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast