We need some real help!

I hope this is in the right place. So I have been seeing on here people talking about how the spend $80 a month on food for 2. Well as of now we are a family of 2 and we are at about $400 a month..... well there are 3 of us but the baby has 3 months to go before she eating table foods. Then

baby, beef, betty crocker, chicken, cookbook, cooking, crockpot, days, download, food, game, healthy, how to, kitchen, learn, pizza, posters, save, skin, dinner, sites, things, coupons, month, cheese, corndogs, afford, grilled, g.beans, cereal, sides, breakfast, mashed, grill, potatoes, lunch, pricey, diapers, stuff, towels, paper, cat/dog, change, coupon, desperate, missing, helpful, dinners, $4+/-, newspaper

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy We need some real help!

I hope this is in the right place.

So I have been seeing on here people talking about how the spend $80 a month on food for 2. Well as of now we are a family of 2 and we are at about $400 a month..... well there are 3 of us but the baby has 3 months to go before she eating table foods. Then the post about taking a $200 tab down to $50. Where do you get your coupons from?

I'm so jealous. How do you do it?!?!

We get paid bi-weekly and whats left after bills we split the 1/2 & 1/2 between food and gas. We are still struggling the closer it gets to pay day. I sat down one night and made up a meal plan for a week and when I go shopping just double it to make it last 2 weeks.

This is what I have.
    (this is just dinner)

Day1: Pizza
    Day2: TV Dinner
    Day3: Hot dogs
    Day4: Spaghetti
    Day5: TV Dinner
    Day6: Gill (meat, side, side)
    Day7: Grill(")

The sides are- Corn, G.beans, mac and cheese and mashed potatoes

And then for breakfast and lunch, I'm SOL because we cant afford to get much after that. I normally eat things like corndogs, easy mac, grilled cheese.... and cereal.

Thats it. I mean the TV dinners are $4+/- each and I have to get 8. I use coupons, I just cant find any that are for the more pricey things. The newspaper always seems to have the same ones that don't help that much and you can only print so many off line.

Oh yeah and dont for get about cat/dog food and TP, Paper towels, baby food, diapers..... and all that stuff.

How do you do it? Whats your list like? What can I change? Any helpful sites other then this one? Am I missing any coupon sites?

Please, I'm desperate for help.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you need to visit a local food bank and get some grub without cost. That's what I do. I'm a senior on Social Security. I also use the crockpot a lot for beans, stews, soups, and chicken.

TV dinners you cannot stretch into decent meals. You need to be thinking more frugally.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the first things I would cut out are the tv dinners at 4.00 a piece and you are feeding two thats 8.00 you can make a meal cheaper. For the pizza are you ordering in or paying for the oven pizzas the more expensive ones can run 7 to 8 dollars? You can make one cheaper. It may cost a little more for the items but you can eat at least two nights for what you are paying for one. When you are buying diapers etc for the baby it is hard and it does run your grocery bill up. What I used to do is make my baby food. you can puree the same things you are eating before you put in the spices etc and its fine for babies to eat (at least my childrens doctor thought so). Hope this helps some. I also cook things I know I will have things left to freeze for another night or can turn into something else for the next night. For example a roast in a crock pot for one night so you don't have to prepare that much when getting home from work, then turn leftover roast into a soup for the next night. Hope this helps some.
    Mdowdy

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dont even know what a food bank is, would it be something like the angel food net work?

Thats the only thing around, going by my first guess of what a food bank would be. Other then that, we live in a really really small area in Alabama. Theres not much around we have to dive 30min to the nears super store. The smaller stores are much higher.

We buy her diapers in bulk (kinda) every 2 weeks. We cant afford a sams or cosco card. I dont even know where to start with making the baby food. I am really not a crafty person like that and I would be to scared I might harm her.

The crock pot.... I'm not big on that kind of food but giving that I can get my hands on one I'm willing to give it a try. I'm not sure how to use them or what to put in them but I will try. I can ask some family members if they might have one they dont use.

The TV dinners, I was just talking about this with my husband. I know they are high but I dont know what I could add in their place. We could by the $1 ones but then I'm scared an hour after eating it we would be hungry. What could I make?

I'm not a cooker and all of my life(i'm only 20) have had things made or just went out and got something quick and easy, so I'm new (so to say) to cooking and what not.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angelfood is not really a foodbank, but since you are in a small place that may be all you have. Sometimes churches will do foodbanks too. Making babyfood is not really that hard all I had was a blender. If I was fixing greenbeans for supper I would take a few out before adding all the fatty stuff to it and but it in the blender. Blend it up to consistency of babyfood. You can fix lots of things in a crock pot- soup, meatballs, roast just to name a few. When you aren't used to cooking the whole cooking thing can be scary. Try some of the recipes here on the site all you really need to do is follow the recipe like a map. It is a learning process. I'm not but 35 and I was in the same situation you are in when I got married the first time. We either fixed things out of a box or went out. Going out was what we did the most. I taught myself to cook. My x husband tells my older kids when they bring home things from my house that he isn't eating them because I never fixed things like that for him, but it was because I didn't know how and for some strange reason I thought cooking things from scratch was more expensive. Of course I take the opportunity to send him things I know he likes just so he can be difficult and watch the kids eat them (LOL)

As for the tv dinners, you can fix the same things that are in the meals and it will taste better too. my boyfriend says all the time his xwife used to cook tv dinners a lot and he had forgotten what real food tasted like until he met me. You can tell the difference, if I cheat and fix like banquet salsbury steak instead of making them myself he can tell right off. Most things are really not that hard to cook. If there is something i want and I am not sure how to do it, I just find a recipe and go from there. There are things that still give me a problem from time to time, like fried chicken (I can never get the batter to stay on there). I just fix them every once in a while and i am getting better at it.
    Mdowdy

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just did a simple search for Alabama food banks and found this link
    Alabama Food Bank Association, Huntsville, Muscle Shoals, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Auburn, Selma, Dothan, Mobile showing that over 30 million pounds of food are made available to the needy in your state. You need to do some investigating.

You state that you are not a cook, but if you want to save money or stretch your dollar farther, you will need to learn. It comes gradually, but you have to start. Maybe one or two meals to start. Nothing fancy. Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches is always good.

I actually 'can' and freeze much of the food I get from the food bank because I cannot eat it all before it gets old. I also learned how to dehydrate produce so nothing is wasted.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
    I just did a simple search for Alabama food banks and found this link
    Alabama Food Bank Association, Huntsville, Muscle Shoals, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Auburn, Selma, Dothan, Mobile showing that over 30 million pounds of food are made available to the needy in your state. You need to do some investigating.

You state that you are not a cook, but if you want to save money or stretch your dollar farther, you will need to learn. It comes gradually, but you have to start. Maybe one or two meals to start. Nothing fancy. Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches is always good.

I actually 'can' and freeze much of the food I get from the food bank because I cannot eat it all before it gets old. I also learned how to dehydrate produce so nothing is wasted.

Dehydrating produce? That is a new one to me, sounds interesting and money saving. I'm going to have to look into that one myself. Thanks for the idea
    Mdowdy

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

WOW, mcnerd thanks for that link. I didn't even think about searching it. I looked over it real quick because I'm about to head to bed but I am going to check that out 1st thing in the morning. I really appreciate that.

I have been looking around, like going back as far as I can and I have found a lot of really good things. We get paid thru. so I'm going to try a few of them out. I have been writing them down and now that I have sat here for a few hours, I'm coming up with stuff. Its exciting!

Before, when I would sit down and try to figure something out, I would get overwhelmed, frustrated and just give up. I have really gotten somewhere tonight and I feel much better about it.

I'm going to take up cooking.....I think (I'll try). My husband might like that. Once I get a little better at it. He always tells me to let him cook because I burn water, so it might be scary at first but he works all the time so I guess I should at least cook.

Thank you guys so much for helping me out, my list was a little crazy after looking back at it now. Well I'm going to bed, its going to be hard to get up in the AM. Its late for me. LOL

Thanks again, let me know if you guys have any other neat things because I still could use some more.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast