Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh Beef Stew from roast?

I bought a marked down roast yesterday at the store. I plan on roasting it with veggies tomorrow. I figured that we wouldn't be able to eat all of it, so I'd like to maybe make a beef stew from it.

Does this sound doable? Obviously I've never made this kind of thing. (My beef stew has always been Dinty Moore, even when growing up) Does any one have any ideas or recipes to use?

I've never made a roast before ether, so any ideas on how to not mess it up would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

AN easy way to make the roast is in the oven and add a cup of leftover coffee to the pan. Not sure what it does but what a great flavor and moist. For the stew I like cutting the roast up into small bite size pieces, adding potatoes, and a can of mixed vegetables (or frozen) and some tomato sauce, herbs. Add water to keep it in watered in a soup like base. I wish I could be of better help, I don't measure, I just eyeball and add things until it tastes like what I thought it would

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kim, I don't drink coffee, does it leave a coffee taste? I like the smell of coffee brewing--- but it's not one of the taste that I like.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

No the roast does not taste like coffee. It acts like a tenderizer to the meat.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can use a can of cream soup(we like mushroom), a package of onion soup mix(we use WalMart) & cook in a crockpot or oven, covered. We also add a cup of Sherry or Burgandy. For something different we put some sour cream in about 1/2 an hour before we are going to eat. Good luck.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Margaret K For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Those are some great tips. I had never heard of the coffee one. I read in my cookbook earlier that adding beer helps.

Unfortunately, I don't have any coffee or beer, but I do have the soup, so I will probably try that. Any ideas how long to cook it? It is around 2 1/2lbs.

Shannon

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

My grandma used to make strew out of left over roast all the time!! She would use tha pan dripping and make extra gravy for the stew and cut up whatever meat and veggies we did not eat that night, mix it together and call it stew. Super yummy!
    I ususally cook mine all day in a crock pot, I am not sure how long to cook it in the oven.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leeannhoy28 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

okay, here is where I am at.

Just got back from the store, got onion, carrots, and potatoes for roast. Also got dry onion soup mix (I know, I know, I should have made my own)

I've started a loaf of bread in the bread machine (Just got it today, very excited) to be done around dinner time.

I'm about to start the chopping, but first I am going to check out my cookbooks to see how long I should cook the roast, how much water, etc.

I'll keep posting as I go (Laptop is in the kitchen, as it is slowly becoming my digital cookbook)

Shannon

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast