Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help with Turkey recipes asap! Please help me ladies!!! :)

Hi everyone! Haven't been on the site for a couple of weeks. (I was back home visiting family.) Anyway, I'm back! At Thanksgiving I won 2 frozen turkeys. I gave on to friends, but I stuck the smaller one (a 12 pounder!) in the freezer. For Christmas, we're having ham, so I won't be using the turkey. I need to find some recipes to use with the turkey. I'd like to make it sometime in January (it takes up a lot of room in the freezer), but I need some recipes for leftover turkey because it will just be me & the hubbie. Can anyone help? Please! Thanks so much!!! (Missed you guys while I was gone! )

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know how much this will help but i just slice mine and put it in bags to freeze and use later for sandwiches.
    Mdowdy

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome back!!!!
    I agree, you will get turkeyed out. I would cut it up and freeze after cooking to use later. Once it is deboned it doesn't take up very much space.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm also now cooking for one and it does create its own challenges, but I solved the biggest one by investing in a small 7.2 cf chest freezer so I can freeze more instead of looking at it in my refrigerator for days in a row until eaten. Now I can easily make casseroles or roasts, then divvy up the leftovers in to portion sizes and freeze in FoodSaver bags (eliminates freezer burn and stores longer). I can also take advantage of store specials and save money in the long run.

I also tossed out all my cookbooks with all those fancy meals for 6-8 people, knowing that (after drooling) I would never make them and having them only frustrated my cooking efforts. I started keeping my own recipes I found (for 1 or 2-4 people) I came across. From the internet you will never run out of ideas.

For the turkey, cook it, carve it up and store all the pieces in separate containers/bags (breasts separate from bits & pieces) and freeze them until you need a sandwich or a meal that uses them.

Baby Hot Browns

1 chicken bouillon cube
    1/4 cup hot water
    3/4 cup half and half
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 cup grated swiss cheese
    5 slices bacon -- cooked and crumbled
    1 large onion -- thinly sliced
    6 ounces cooked turkey -- thinly sliced
    18 small French bread slices
    parsley

Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water, and half and half in a saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Whisk and cook until mixture is frothy and raw flour taste is gone. While stirring, add the bouillon mixture. Stir constantly with a whisk until the sauce thickens and begins to bubble. Add Swiss cheese and stir until smooth (add water and heat if sauce needs to be thinned) Assemble hot browns by placing turkey and onion on each bread slice. Top with sauce and crumbled bacon.

Heat at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I completely agree with freezing the leftovers.. if you bag breast meat with liquid it won't dry out as much.

If you debone the meat take the bones and cook in pot with water, herbs and veggies. You will have stock for soups or cooking. Freeze in small containers or use your ice cube tray. We used to pack stock into the cardboard milk cartons and freeze.

Make up a stir fry pack - 3 ice cubes, some left over veggies, some cooked rice, some meat (could be turkey or anything else) -zip, label and freeze. **if you increase the ice cubes, use some cooked turkey you can have turkey rice veg soup

Freezing meals (we call them lunchables at my house) in individual containers is great but does take up room. If you or hubby take lunch to work its handy to pull one or two the night before and you are ready to go for the next day. It's also handy when you are tired or sick and don't want to cook.

If you lay bags flat for freezing they store better - you can always move them upright after they freeze flat.

Ria

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

How about a turkey pot pie, made just like chicken pot pie but use turkey instead of chicken
    Mdowdy

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some great ideas here. We save the left over gravy as we always make alot of it. Every once in awhile we have hot turkey sandwiches for dinner. Makes me hungry for one now.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Margaret K For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh how I love doing up a turkey! After the first meal i remove all the meat and put them into 1 cup amount bags. I make all kinds of such with them over the next few months. I take cressant rolls and put chopped turkey and graded cheese in them and roll them up and bake in a pan that i put a can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 can milk and 1 cup cheese. I make turkey soup. I make pot pie, I throw together a making Do casserole. 1 cup turkey (or what ever meat you have) 1 cup vegetable, 1 cup pasta or rice and 1 can cream soup. maybe some cheese if i have it. Oh there are so many ways to use up turkey! Use your imagination and have fun!

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast