OAMC from the Pantry?

Hello everyone, Here is my question. I want to get into OAMC, or even OAWC but I have a tiny little freezer. (Currently full of a turkey, bought at 39 cents a lb:redface:) My fridge is missing half it's shelves, so I am limited there. (The joys of a living in a rental). My pantry is really

breakfast, feeling, forum, fre, free, fries, hat, hey, huge, items, kitchen, list, mix, perfect, purchase, save, small, soup, storage, wash, pantry, recipes, make, oamc, local, freecycle, store, pre-make, love, jars, microwave, water, shannon, 120103_emte32_prv, advice, bags, plastic, wanting, stuff, work, type, flexible, turkey, bought, full, freezer, missing, fridge, lbredface, cents

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question OAMC from the Pantry?

Hello everyone,

Here is my question. I want to get into OAMC, or even OAWC but I have a tiny little freezer. (Currently full of a turkey, bought at 39 cents a lb) My fridge is missing half it's shelves, so I am limited there. (The joys of a living in a rental).

My pantry is really small too, but I added a shelving unit to the dining area to make up for it. So really, my pantry space is the most flexible of the 3 food storage areas.

I have most of the items listed on mos's Pantry Basics list. I am looking for recipes that I can "pre-make" but store in the pantry. I love all the jar mix recipes, but I don't own any jars and my local Freecycle hasn't been able to help.

Could I make the jar recipes and put them in plastic bags? I'm also wanting to be able to take this type of stuff to work, so any recipes that end with "add water and microwave" are probably the best for me.

Anyways, thanks for any advice and recipes that are given.

Shannon

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have stored the items in bags and they still work.
    Make Your Own Mixes and Convenience Foods
    This spot on the site has some wonderful cup mixes-soups (the potato soup is delicious).

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found that one, and it did look good. I've been looking through some of the other recipes to see if there are more that I can use. The only thing is that most of the mixes shown are for desserts or sweets.

I'm still digging though.

Thanks,
    Shannon

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm glad you like my pantry list it took a gazillion years to develop! LOL! do you have any family owned or small restaurants in your area? if so visit them and make friends with the owners, even if you only get a cup of soup or a basket of french fries. after a couple of visits and you're feeling pretty comfortable with the staff, ask if they could save their containers for you. no need to wash 'em, you can do that. they purchase larges jars of all sorts of things and then just toss them. the jars are perfect for storage and their free! my home burned down last year so I'm in the process of collecting items myself. I keep my biscuit/baking mix (see the breakfast forum) in a huge glass pickle jar. it took a couple of washings and air drying in the sun to get rid of the odor but it's what I've used for years! like Kim, I also use bags, but I love the jars that I get from restaurants you said that your pantry area is small...you can store jars anywhere! LOL! got a corner in a closet? can you place something behind a couch or chair so that it's out of site? be creative hun-ney! there's no rules that say it HAS to be in the kitchen

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Raleigh, just like you!

However, I tend to eat at The Barbeque Lodge in MiniCity and Gypsy's in Cary, so the next time that I'm there I'll be sure to ask.

I am sorry about your home. I know what it's like, as I went through a fire in 2004. I'm still trying to get things back that I lost during it.

The shelving unit in my dining area is about the best I can do. There is only one closet in my downstairs, which is crammed full. Next in line is putting things under the bed. I'm just worried that I'd forget what I put there!

Thanks for your advice,
    Shannon

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where can I find mos pantry list?

TIA,
    Debbie

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dyankee1995 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can find it here.

http://www.budget101.com/pantry-chat...ge-family.html

I had found it by going to the Pantry Chat link from the Home page. I was trying to read up on some of the posts before asking my questions.

Thanks,
    Shannon

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BellaInara For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

way cool!
    so sorry that you were in a fire, too! it is such a pain to deal with...I was thinking that replacing items wouldn't be a problem;-\ but while I was busy using all the things in my home and enjoying them, the prices of everything went up! I couldn't believe that I was having to 'save money' just to buy a toaster! geez! don't get me started...I'll rant for hours! LOL! do you have some place in your kitchen that you keep notes or something that you would refer to often? if so, start an inventory list of stuff outside the kitchen and you'll always be able to locate it when you need it. just remember to check the inventory list so you know where to return it my sister has one of those inexpensive small round tables with the cloth over it (you know the ones that I'm talking about) right outside of her kitchen. she has a cute little decorative lamp on it and nothing else. but under that tablecloth she keeps all of her 'breakfast mixes' in pickle jars! each one is labeled with the recipes for whatever the mix will make. the labels are for her, the recipes are for her husband on the rare occasion he gets up early and wants to make breakfast. the best part is no one has a clue except the three of us! now...your turn...go forth and be creative!!!

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast