Thread: Baking Tips

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Baking Tips

Gluten-free batters tend to be sticky. You may need to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl often.

Baked goods may stick more to the pan. To prevent batter from sticking to surfaces and pans, use non-stick pans or line your pans with parchment paper.

When using a gluten-free flour, store it in the freezer in a resealable plastic freezer bag to maintain quality. Always let the flour come to room temperature before using.

Baked goods with gluten-free flours taste best when eaten warm from the oven but they also freeze well. Wrap small amounts of the baked product in plastic food wrap and place in a resealable freezer bag or a tightly covered container. At serving time, thaw only what you plan to use.

Gluten-free flours may require more leavening to compensate for their lack of elasticity. If you convert a recipe to gluten-free, you may need to add about 25% more baking soda or baking powder than what is called for in the original wheat version.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

These are great!

Do you have any other tips that I might be able to use? i.e. good places to shop for gluten free products, any certain products you and your family love, or even menu ideas (I really need these if you would be willing to share a couple ideas).

Thanks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JennyCup For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Baking Tips

I eat gluten-free as I'm very allergic to wheat. One of my favorite foods is pasta, and a great source of gluten-free pasta is the Tinkyada brand. You can take a look at their products on tinkyada.com. It's not as cheap as regular pasta, but it makes a great once-a-month treat that (according to my husband and son) they don't taste too different from the regular semolina noodles.

Asian foods are a good source of menu ideas. Stir fries are cheap and gluten free (as long as you leave off the soy sauce) and can be changed up by using rice noodles or sticks. Pad thai is a frequent favorite at our house. Tonkatsu (dredged in coarsely ground nut flour instead of panko breadcrumbs) is another favorite, though we don't eat that but a few times a year due to all the work involved and the fact that it's deep fried.

Due to the increasing number of people with wheat and gluten allergies, many gluten free items are starting to be sold in major department stores. The store-bought mix cooks and bakes like white flour (as I'm sure you've discovered), and makes EXCELLENT donuts and biscuits. If you're planning on doing a lot of baking, google health food stores in your area. Call around and see if they have bulk bins of the ingredients to make your own mix.

I know this is just the tip of the gluten-free iceberg, hon, but do feel free to PM me with questions you may have. I'll be happy to help any way I can.
    We all have the extraordinary coded within us, waiting to be released.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pyxidragon, you certainly gave JennyCup a good start with her search. I have a bulk country store near where I live and they have a large selection of items.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

I buy my GF noodles from my local Asian market. very cheap there. along with rice flour I get for $1 a lb or less i think my noodles are $1 a package. Let me save you some time too Jennycup. Make your own mixes!!!!! Seriously my recipes are a far cry better than any mix I have bought so far. There are also tons of GF foodie blogers out there with fantastic recipes Glutenfreegirl is one. i have lots if you would like to know them. I am also trying to get my favorite recipes changed over. some are easy and others are well not so easy. I only found out in october that years of medical issues came down to I was poisoning my self with glutens. esh! at least now we know. good luck! P.S. I know a lot of people talk about whole foods having lots of stuff including a gf bakery section.
    Meijer here has a section that keeps growing I also wanted to add of all the GF flour mixes I have tried so far I LOVE bett hagmans GF flour mix!! (I probably dident spell her name right) Its worth picking up at least one of her books. Her recipes are good and her flour recipes I have subbed for all kinds of recipes so far flawlessly.