Light Meat Broth

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      mos

it’s the time of year that I like to stock up my freezer with items to use for soups and stews. however, this is great as a cup of broth with your favorite sandwich;-)
      Light Meat Broth:004:
      3 lb chicken backs or wings
      2 lb veal neck bones, or other economy cut
      1 14 1/2-oz can tomatoes
      1 onion, unpelled and washed, quartered
      1 large carrot, peeled and cut into quarters
      1 large celery rib with leaves, quartered
      handful of parsley
      1/8 tsp whole peppercorns
      8 cups water (maybe need a bit more)
      2-3 tsp salt, or to taste
      Trim any excess fat from the chicken pieces and veal. Select a dep soup pan in which all the meat will fit comfortably. Put in all the ingredients up to and including the peppercorns. Add the cold water to cover the ingredients by 2 in. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer steadily and gently, partially covered, for 2 1/2 hours, until the liquid is full-bodied and tasty. Check the broth occasionaly, keeping it at a gentle simmer. skim the surface to keep the broth clear. Do not allow it to return to a boil. When the broth is finished, skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. Using tongs, remove the meat and bones (use the meat to make tacos or salad or toss with pasta and a bit of butter or…). Strain the broth through cheesecloth or a very fine sieve into a bowl. Add salt to taste if you are using the broth immediately. About 20 calories per cup.

shellybean40

As I am reading this recipe, my electric roaster is simmering away with the two leftover turkey carcasses, and veggies to make a delicious stock!!! I am wondering where in the world all of it is going (my freezer is packed), but who cares????-YUM!!
      Shelly

mos

it’ll be good in the fridge for two weeks until you can make some room;-)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.