Thermostat Tips

Thermostat Tips

Dh is a HVAC Tech -- I don't touch the thermostat any more..And these are tips from him...I hope this helps a few out here. Keep your thermostat at a constant level. You home cannot heat any faster by raising your thermostat. When your heating system is on, it runs at the same rate regardless of

bump, great, hat, heat, home, ins, ips, main, reach, run, set, short, summer, thermos, thermostat, tip, tips, topic, turn, won, temperature, lower, overnight, time, energy, heating, setting, programmable, return, warm, leaving, length, hvac, tech, morning, cold, you’ve, turned, thermostats, easily, allowing, cooler, runs, rate, hope, system, helps, constant, faster, raising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat Tips

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Thermostat Tips

Dh is a HVAC Tech -- I don't touch the thermostat any more..And these are tips from him...I hope this helps a few out here.

Keep your thermostat at a constant level. You home cannot heat any faster by raising your thermostat. When your heating system is on, it runs at the same rate regardless of the temperature setting.

Lower your thermostat 1° F. You can reduce your heating bill by 1-3% with a 1° change in temperature. Many energy experts recommend setting your thermostat at 68° F or less, and several degrees cooler overnight. If you are leaving the home for any length of time, be sure to lower your thermostat – you will use less energy to heat the home when you return than to keep it warm while nobody is home.

Buy a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats allow you to set your home temperature by time of day, easily allowing you to lower the thermostat when no one is home, and overnight, without having to be cold in the morning after you’ve turned the heat up.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love these tips !!! Something we also like to do as a family is we make a fire in the fireplace in the living room and camp out in the living room !!! We bring our air matress and our son sleeps on the couch !!! Not only does this really save on heat because we turn off the heat when we do it. It also gives us something fun to do as a family !!!
    Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD. Psalm 127:3
    There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil.
    Exodus 23:26

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to incheck4real For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The first thing we did when we moved into this house was put in a programmable thremostat. So nice that it will go lower overnight or when you are not home. A couple degrees lower and a few extra layers really does pay off in the end. Thanks!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

lol...

I keep mine at 57. I can't imagine having the heat as high as 68. That would cost a fortune! 68 is what all the energy suggestions say, but I figure 68 was a good staring point for new conservers. 68 would also feel wayyyyyy too hot to me nowadays.

Anyone else keep their heat siginificantly below 68?
    Michelle

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

so your DH says to turn the heat off when not at home? won't that run up the bill by having to run for awhile to reach the desired setting instead of running at short bursts (I have it set at 61) to maintain? and what about summer (I keep it set at 80)?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

How long did it take you to get used to 57%. We cut ours to 66% some years ago (off at night) and now get warm when we go to someones house, so I guess we've adjusted to that, but I can't imagine being comfortable at 57%, how do you do it?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just started the heat season with it at 57 and it's been there ever since...except for a few days when we were very chilled from being outside and I raised it a little bit. We wear more clothing. We wear sweaters, and socks, and shoes sometimes in the house. Many people are wearing short sleeves and bare feet and keeping their heat much higher than mine. I just can't see wasting money on heat when my body is able to produce that heat on its own under a warm sweater. So you just have to determine what you're comfortable with. Heat is really expensive. Sweaters are cheap at the thrift store.

PS...Cooking from scratch warms up the house a lot. And it saves money, too.
    Michelle

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you are leaving the home for any length of time, be sure to lower your thermostat – you will use less energy to heat the home when you return than to keep it warm while nobody is home.

Buy a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats allow you to set your home temperature by time of day, easily allowing you to lower the thermostat when no one is home, and overnight, without having to be cold in the morning after you’ve turned the heat up.
    Quote to refresh
    Last edited by JoAnn; 12-26-2008 at 09:07 PM.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast