How to boil eggs?

How to boil eggs?

I mean, I know how.... for the most part. What I always forget is, do I poke holes in the eggs or not? and I know you add them to a cold pot of water and bring it to a boil.... then what? any help will be greatly appreciated.... I have to make eggs for thanksgiving.

air, avoid, big, boiling, boiling water, egg, end, escape, faucet, helps, hey, hole, older, peel, pocket, poke, separate, shell, subs, water, eggs, boil, bring, appreciated, make, thanksgiving, greatly, forget, part, holes, cold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to boil eggs?

I mean, I know how.... for the most part. What I always forget is, do I poke holes in the eggs or not? and I know you add them to a cold pot of water and bring it to a boil.... then what?

any help will be greatly appreciated.... I have to make eggs for thanksgiving.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really dont know what the professional way to do it is, but I cook mine for about 5 minutes on a rolling boil and then I let them sit for about 5 more minutes then crack..I have never poked them, but I would like to know why you would poke them???

Thanks!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know with the egg boilers.... or at least the one my grandmother used when I was younger... it said to poke holes in them, I guess to keep them from cracking. I dont know though, thats why I asked.

Thanks, so much!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh ok, I see what you mean. I am not sure cause i have never used one...
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

yeah, well I will be doing it the old fashioned way so I guess you answered my question.
    Thanks again.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cover mine with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat. Let sit 20 minutes, then rinse in cold water. Yolks never turn grey-green with this method.
    Michelle

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DohDohBird View Post
    I cover mine with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat. Let sit 20 minutes, then rinse in cold water. Yolks never turn grey-green with this method.

I do mine the exact same way. My step-mom taught me how to do this when she used to work with a community program to help people learn to cook. I sprinkle mine with salt before I add water and this is suppose to seal them and they won't crack. It works for me everytime.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to saunders97 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I poke a hole in the big end where there is a pocket of air, which allows the air to escape when the egg heats up in the boiling water and avoid potential cracking of the shell.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast