Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I think I messed up, help!

*Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place*

So, we just got a bank account and I have been doing really good with keeping up with things but this past check I have forgotten to write a few of them down (in a nutshell) and I'm worried that I will never know when everything thats out there to go through, has .... I DO NOT want to always be worrying about a surprise credit that might overdraft me.

What should I do?
    What have you done to fix this and get back on top?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you do not have some money (cash) to cover the checks get in contact with your bank asap. They might work with you on this. If you don't talk with them you could pay up to $45 for each check that is overdrawn. If you talk with them now that might cut you a break on the fees.

If you have recently bought some things-clothing, Christmas items, anything non food related and still have receipts take the items back for a refund. Better to not have the items then to be overdrawn.

You might want to check into online banking with your bank if they have it available, you can see checks almost right away so if you did forget to write the amount down you can check that way. I have most of my important debts set up for automatic withdraw. They come out of the checking account first. It helps to not forget to pay a bill that really needs to be paid and I know ahead of time how much I have to play with for the rest of the month.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

See if your bank offers a free Visa Check Card instead of writing checks. It takes the money out right away, rather than having to wait for a check to clear.
    Michelle

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

call your bank now to see if they have overdraft protection available and how quickly they can get it on your account. After my daughter bounced a few checks and had to pay fees to the bank and the business, she had that put on her account. the bank sets up a line of credit attached to your account and pays the overdrawn checks up to that amount. you pay back that amount plus intrest. still cheaper than all the fees for bouncing a check. good luck

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do have overdraft protection... its my savings account. I have money in there but not a whole lot. As of now I haven't over drafted... I just don't know what to do, in order to know that there aren't anymore charges out there.... I'm pretty sure I have gotten them all.

I'm just so confused.... I was before then I got it figured out (so I thought) and then this happens.

I use my online banking, thats how I saw the check.... the thing that sucks is we dont used cash at all, because we bank with USAA and there aren't any ATMs for them. Random ones charge you a arm and leg.... The only checks we write are to place that dont accept cards.

I guess maybe I will just have to pull out what we need and not touch anything for a week or so.... and see if anything goes through. However the bank told me that merchants have 300 and something days to turn in card transactions.... so who knows. Although most of the time the do it soon after its made.

UGH! its so stressful, not knowing.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

USAA pays you back for any ATM fees. They do this around the 4th of each month. Also, USAA offers a FREE Rewards Mastercard Debit Card that earns you a small percentage of money back every month on all of your purchases.

1. Paying the ATM surcharge that will be completely refunded to your account within a month is a heckuva lot cheaper than the $30 insufficient funds charge USAA will charge you for EACH overdraft.

2. The Mastercard Check Card is FREE and easy to get.
    Michelle

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Mastercard Check Card is FREE and easy to get.
    Really? I don't know that I have heard anything about that. What do I need to do and how does that help when places don't take cards?

Do you have USAA?

I know that they pay us back....Do you know any more about the rewards? My card says that at the top.... but I don't really know much about it. I keep for getting to ask when I call them.

any info on that would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ab2401 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have had USAA for a while now. We have Armed Forces Bank, too, but USAA is the better bargain.

Call them up and ask if you're enrolled in the rewards program.

As for places that don't take Mastercard....there are very few these days, but just use cash. Use your card as debit at the grocery store, and request cash back. That way, you have some cash, and don't have to write checks.
    Michelle

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast