Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default More energy savers

I live in Maine so right now I am trying to save on HEAT. During the night this time of year its down to 63 (later I will have to bump it up or the pipes will freeze in basement)

FURNANCE MAINTENANCE: was is cleaned recently? do you need to move furniture so vents/baseboards are clear? do you need to vac the baseboards?

WEAR LAYERS INSIDE: Everyone in the house has a vest, fleece works great .. When the kids and dh whine about the heat I remind them they have l/s flannel shirts .. I have some sweat shirts that I just cut the front (or back if it had a cute design on front) straight down, this makes like a sweater sweatshirt (*I hate feeling confined by pull over) ..
    This also included FEET, yep slippers are back .. I love the slipper socks for wearing with boots etc
    Those wrap around blankets, I remember those from 20 years ago <g> well they are back, I got some for everyone in the house (still gotta get one for me - since I am short may make one)

LINE YOUR CURTAINS: I have lined all the curtains at camp, and working on the ones at home with old acrylic blankets .. For some reason WM did not have any this year, finally found some on markdown at 4th store. It is worth the hassle to do it, makes a huge differance at camp (2 inch walls, crappy windows etc etc). If you don't have a sewing machine you can safety pin to the backs of your drapes.. if you have a sewing maching sew blanket to the back of the curtains .. if you can make button holes you can match them to the hook placements on drapes and slip them on .. I made NEW curtains at camp using fabric I had on hand (*sorta like pillow cases with open seam on side for the rods)

OPEN SOUTHERN CURTAINS ON SUNNY DAYS: If you aren't going to be home till after 3ish don't bother chances are the heat lost once the sun moves is going to be more than the gain during the day. Once the sun moves at my house I close down the curtains and try to keep the free heat inside. (*usually I am starting to cook shortly after so I make some gains that way too)

GET MOVING: Staying on the computer makes you colder, so get up and do something else for 30 mins, then check mail for 15 mins. (also helps on weight)

CLOSE OFF ROOMS THAT ARE NOT USED:

BASEMENTS: Since these usually have the furnance why loose that heat out the windows? cover them with plastic .. Usually basement exterior doors are lousy, put up a blanket curtain. If its really bad pick up some styrofoam boards and make an insulated 'wall' . I do this at camp for one of the doors I put duct tape on the edges and around the pieces so they won't break (and numbered them for next year). In an emergency we could get out, but the cold can't get in as much

BATHROOMS: If you have littles teach them to dry off inside the tub with the shower curtain/door shut - much warmer. If you are running the heat low, an electric heater helps the bathroom. If everyone takes showers one right after the other residual heat from showers/bath helps keep the room warm and less electric heat is needed. In my house if you don't get shower 'NOW' then the electric heater is NOT going to be on for you.
    I figured out I could get a shower in 5 mins, including hair .. I start yelling at the kids at about 7 mins to shut down the shower

REPLACE THE BULBS: I don't care what they say the 60 watt swirlies do not give enough light to read, so I did replace the lamps where we read with the 100 watt swirlies ..

FIND THE THERMOS OR CARAFT: If you drink hot tea or coffee, put in the thermos and it'll stay hot all day without using electric. I preheat the thermos with hot water (while doing dishes). If I am making for the guys and they are hunting I boil the preheat water (then dump in my dishes) so its really really hot. For takeaway thermos, old stretched out hunting socks are another layer of thermal protection. You can make a bag to carry with handle using old towlels for liner), placement cover(so it looks prettier)

PLAN YOUR MEALS: With a menu plan and an idea of what you have in freezer (that needs used before freezer burn) you are saving gas, and replacement of food that was ruined.

Clean your pantry area, find the weird cans and make a meal. Using it up means more space in pantry for a sale. Cleaning also means you can see if you have a problem with miller moths etc

Use the crockpot, make soups (it also helps you loose weight)

I plan on cooking in the oven at night so it gives extra heat during the day, even a counter top looses some heat .. If you make the no-knead bread you need to pre heat the baking container, find another dish that will fit in the oven at the same time and cook something. Last night I was cooking chicken at 350 but went ahead and preheated the bread container - figured just a few mins at the 450 vs 30mins .. the bread was fine, just popped it out and back on rack with stove off ..

BEDS: Flannel sheets feel warm, down comforters work great .. If needed electric blankets may help for arthritis (it works for mine). The magic gloves work great if you are camping, or have lousy circulation

GROW SOMETHING: it just feels warmer when you have plants

time for a break to do something else

Ria

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really liked your post. Very helpful, with great reminders for all. I thought I was the only one that didn't like the idea of feeling confined with a pull over. And those zip up blankets are the best, I got myself one last year on clearence..
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi JoAnn,
    I have never liked tight stuff especially around my neck, and with the advent of menopause in my 20's and the lovely hot flashes etc I really hated it.

Today (30 yrs later) I still haven't got my temp regulated so being able to take on and off something is much more comfortable. My dd ended up with ovarian cysts and a super heavy and long periods - it started me back (I was NOT pleased) now that she has been gone a year I think I am going back into menopause with the up and down temps again.

Ria

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your really covered this topic! Lots of great suggestions, some things I am already doing. I so agree with the swirlie lights, 60 watts is just not enough to see with. Thanks for sharing this information.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got you beat on the thermostat, dear...mine is set at 61! LOL! I live in sweat pants, socks and 'thick' slippers or moccasins, a turtleneck with a sweat shirt on top. however, I have mini blinds and toppers on my windows. after reading the posts, I'm thinking that maybe I should do curtains. I let the sun in during the day with my south-facing windows and close the blinds as soon as the sun crests the trees. do you think that curtains would make that big a difference? I snuggle with an afghan and the cats when watching tv or reading. also, do the 'swirlie' lights really make a difference? I have regular 75 watt bulbs in all of my fixtures except for the the 3-way that I have next to my chair for reading. I'm in the south and the weather has been crazy! two days of 65-70, then it'll be 30s and 40s for a couple of days, then back up, etc. tonight it's going to 19, so I'm in the 'cold' mold again;-\

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mos View Post
    do the 'swirlie' lights really make a difference? I have regular 75 watt bulbs in all of my fixtures except for the the 3-way that I have next to my chair for reading. -\
    I replaced all my regular 60 watt bulbs with the swirlie' lights and my electric bill dropped over $20! I also have much brighter light and using 16 to 23 watts instead of 60.

I'm in NW Missouri and it's been in sub zero to single digit temps for a couple weeks. We made it up to +8 today and we all so excited as they said it would get into the 40's on Friday!

We put in a pellet stove last month. We use one bag of pellets per day and the furnace has only came on once so far (set on 62)

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi mos, I found out much lower than 66 and the pipes freeze, so I run a kero in the basement .. as least the pipes don't freeze and the floors aren't super icy.

last year it was 68ish this year its 65-66, maybe next year it can be lower. Depends on the arthristis too.

Dollar Tree had 1/2 gloves and I need to pick up some for inside the house

Ria

13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

SWIRLIES: yes they make a differance in the bill, however if you are older try using the 75 for reading vs the 60.

CURTAINS & LINERS: big big HUGE differance using the liner. At camp we have the old louver windows and it made such a differance.

I used the cheapy acrylic blankets as liners. You can either sew them to exsisting curtains or just pin

Ria

15. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast