Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pear Butter

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pear Butter

This recipe calls for alot of sugar. It's really sweet, so you might have to cut back the sugar a little. Do it to your taste. This is a great gift to give from the kitchen. I puried my pears in the blender, poured back into the pot and then added the rest. It turn out great, very nice texture and color. Enjoy.

Pear Butter

3 lbs. pears, peeled (or 4 c. prepared fruit)
    1 lemon, grated & juiced
    1 1/2 c. (1 lg. can) crushed pineapple
    1 box Sure Jell or Pen Jel

5 1/2 c. sugar (or less so it's not so sweet, about half the amount)
    1 box paraffin squares, melted
    Cook pears until soft (approximately 10 to 15 minutes) at a low temperature (simmer). After fruit has softened, mash with a potato masher. Add pineapple, lemon and juice and Sure Jell or Pen Jel. Bring to a hard boil, then add sugar. Cook again to a hard boil and let cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Test to see if ready to pour into pre-sterilized jars by putting a small amount into a bowl, let cool and check to see if it is runny or has set up. If ready to set up, turn off heat and let cool for 1 to 2 minutes. Skim off foam and pour into jelly glasses. Cover top of Pear Butter with 1/4" paraffin. If you are short on pears, canned pears can be used.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also, I did not use the Paraffin. I just canned mine and did a hot water bath. It turned out fine. Very pretty color to them.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Correct. Never use paraffin wax as a sealer. With advances in technology and scientific research, it was determined not to be safe.
    National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I?

Never ever reduce the amount of sugar in a recipe that uses regular pectin. The amount used is NOT for taste reasons, but is required for the pectin, sugar and acids in the fruit to chemically react and bond correctly for gelling to occur. The sugar also acts as a barrier to the growth of bacteria while sealed in the jar.

If you want to use less sugar or something else, like Splenda, you must use a no sugar required pectin, Pomona Pectin, or ClearJelŽ
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, never know that about the sugar and pectin. I knew that it didn't add flavor. But didn't know anything about the reducing sugar would create problems. I've reduced the sugar before and had to add more pectin, and it came out fine. But I will keep the info in mind, thanks.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't have it you should get a current copy of the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. You should also occasionally visit the National Center for Home Food Preserving and update your knowledge. They even have a free self-study course on Food Preservation.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Tonia!!

I have printed this and I am going to make it this weekend, I will tell you how it turns out!!

Lynn
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a huge pear tree that was here when we got the house. I tried to do pear butter by the ball recipe ths year.....there recipe is awfull. I was thinking more applebutter with a pear tast. I got citruss. They have you add a bunch of orange juice. They are all no good for giftgiveing

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry your pear butter didn't turn out. 1/3 cup orange juice for 6-7 lbs of pears is not much but if the pears were not fully ripe with flavor I guess it might influence the flavor more than usual.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast