Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help please

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help please

I want to pre set up meals in containers. Like jar mixes but main dishes other than soup. We buy so many boxed meals to save time even though I LOVE to cook. Will anyone help me figure out what meals I can start with. All I am finding is deserts and a few soups in a jar. We are a two person household so I believe I can use jars as containers.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A great book you could get would be one of Robin Miller's "Quick Fix Meals" books. (You can see her show on Food Network if you get that channel.) These aren't "jar" meals, but she teaches you how to take a few ingredients & do a little bit of prep one day a week (like on the weekend) & then you can turn it into several quick meals through the week. (And they are nice meals too!) Hope this helps!

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im not sure about meals in a jar. This is an interesting question
    Mdowdy

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a book called "Gifts in a Jar; One Dish Meals", it is dirtributed by CQ Products, ISBN 1-56383-136-8 and lists for $10.95 US.

There are many recipes in the book that when finished are a lot like Hamburger Helper.

Hope this helps!
    Jaime

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jaime For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I'm not sure you are really interested in the following but here goes...

you could do a modified once a month cooking--making a large batch of food. Eat one portion for supper and freeze the rest in meal size portions for later dates.

you could learn to can foods. You'd be amazed at what you can do with pressure canning and boiling water bath canning. Some $$$ to start up but you could can some meals--several meals worth in one effort--like OAMC but without the freezer part.

But there also tons of Hamburger Helper type meals out there where you would just add the meat. Cook up the meat ahead of time and freeze it for a quick thaw to add.

HTH

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hs4hmom For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think jaime hit the nail on the head. DH likes non frozen foods. I keep telling him it is in his head but all the same I have to deal with his grumpyness. Ill look for the book thanks!! Thank you all for helping.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

DH jumped right up and offerd a trip to B&N so I could get the book there was another too "everyday meals" he said I could have both. They will be here friday. (There were none in store) Ill let you all know how its goes.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

One thing I did was make chili and canned it. I made a HUGE pot one fall and canned about 8 quarts so for the winter months when I was either away or at work my hubby just had to open it up and heat it up. As it "aged" it got even better. You could also can beef stew as well. Just open up a can of stew and cook some noodles and you have a hearty meal.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to flickertail26 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast