Need apple recepies

Need apple recepies

Hi, I'm going to apple hill tomorrow and I am looking for some recipies for canning and preserving. Can you store homemade applesauce? What is apple butter? Any gift Ideas? Thanks Nicole in Ca

applesauce, boiling, brown, butter, canning, cinnamon, cooked, hat, homemade, long, minutes, refrigerator, requires, rich, slowly, spices, storage, term, water, weeks, apple, store, nicole, gift, ideas, hill, recepies, tomorrow, recipies, preserving

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need apple recepies

Hi, I'm going to apple hill tomorrow and I am looking for some recipies for canning and preserving. Can you store homemade applesauce? What is apple butter? Any gift Ideas?

Thanks

Nicole in Ca

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fosterfamily5 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Homemade Applesauce will last for several weeks in the refrigerator. Long-term storage requires 'canning' (pasteurizing) in a Boiling Water Canner for 20 minutes.

Apple Butter is apple sauce and spices (cinnamon, cloves) that is slowly cooked down to the thickness of spreadable butter. The applesauce turns a rich brown.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mcnerd For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slice them thinly and dry them for apple rings.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Peel and slice them and make your own canned Apple Pie filling!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a freezer you can also put them up that way. I put up a years supply every fall. Golden delicious and granny smith freeze well. I just slice them into a big bowl filled with 8 cups of water and 1 T of salt to keep them from turning while preparing. rinse well and pat dry. toss with fruit fresh mixed in sugar or splenda an put in freezer bags. You can also make pie filling or cobbler filling to put up. cook in a little water with lemon juice until slightly soft, remove apples and add cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar or splenda with some cornstarch to thicken juice. pour over apples and freeze, omit spices and add a little more lemon juice and a little butter and you have escalloped apples. I also freeze applesauce (I use Roma apples for that). Oh and don't throw away your peelings and cores. If you wash the apples first those can be boiled with some water or juice, strained through a cheesecloth and the juice used to make apple jelly. just follow the directions on the powdered sure jell. I read somewhere that you can add candied hot cinnamons to that to give it added flavor and a pretty color. (would be good gifts.)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post: